electric generator from scooter

oldunion

I have a goped model gsr40 to those who know. This model has a pullstart and does not have an electric ignition, thus no energy for lights or other electrical aspects. What i have conceived is an electric generator that i would make and get to spin off of the rear drive sprocket which would rotate at whatever speed the wheel turns at. This would work, but a few things come to mind: there is no power if the wheel is not spinning, there is no way to regulate the voltage. What i decided on was some kind of resistor? to make the flow from the generator constant, and i want to have this constant electrical flow charging a battery that i could then run the electrical components off of. Thus when the wheel stops, i still have a battery powering the lights. I am by no means an electrical info source, but am a genius capable of doing what you folks advise. So if anyone sees a solution or a rift in my post please respond. This is my PROPOSED course, if you have a better one by all means share. The engine is a 2.5 hp whcih at top speed will go about 34mph, i may get mods permitting speeds of 50+ so keep this in mind.

• 3 weeks later...

neat idea :)

and quite simple to do with only a handfull of parts too!

you don`t state what voltage you require though, but for arguments sake we`ll assume 12V, you`ll need a 7812 voltage regulator and SLA battery, and fullwave bridge rectifier (or 4 silicon diodes, IN4001`s will do it).

dont use a resistor! it only limits current not voltage and as you said, the wheel will be turning at different rates.

the bridge rectifier will shut down less than .7 of a volt stopping any power loses when not moving, and the 7812 wont pass anything but 12V regardless of it input voltage, if its input falls below 12v then no charge, but no battery drain either :)

hope that helps :)

I might do that to my bike, and attach a battery charger. I could recharge batteries while getting excercise (no power bills, too!).

Oh, an interesting fact:

If you ate two cookies (120 calories) as your only energy source, and made a gererator attached to a bike, you could power a laptop for 5 hours!

Best thing to do is get a motor and dodgey up the magneto thats what i did but its not very professional(buggers up ya spark abit though) or wack a altinator on the flywheel (alittle knowledge is needed here, cause you have to pull apart, cut and weild the cover)

they`re diodes, and most for use in rectification have a PIV of several 100V before they break down :)

yeah I work at the puzzel on occasion, but I think it may not be possible now.

the 7812 will garauntee a constant 12volt output regardess of the input voltage above 12 and below 36v. that SLA battery will act as the buffer/reserve :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have modified my mission by no longer pursuing a generator scenario, i dont feel it is feasable. Now i have one final question. I am using a 12 volt gell cell no maintenance battery. I am running 2 10 inch led neon sticks, one headlamp (no specs as of yet) and pertaining to the question at hand, an afterburner. I need to somehow make a small spark jump over an even smaller gap of perhaps a few mm's to ignite excess two-stroke unburned gasoline that will be exiting via the exhaust tube. This spark will jump the gap, and burn the fuel for a nice flame effect. Id like to use a toggle switch and it must work somehow off of the 12 volt. Other than taking apart my 500k volt tazer, i have no idea where to start with this. The spark should be a constant occurence to continually burn the fuel (not intermittent). I know that a continuous discharge of the tazer hurts the device somehow and seems like it would drain quickly. However, the ignition system on the scooter itself makes a sufficient enough spark with hardly any electrical capital to begin with. So it seems conceivable that what i want to make is tangible. Replies very welcome