Immortality?

fafalone

If the technology was there and you could afford it, would you want to live forever?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. If the technology was there and you could afford it, would you want to live forever?

• Absolutely
    • Probably
    • Probably not
    • Definately not
    • Unsure

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen in many survival situations that there is really more to life than just what we experience. It's subjective but in my experiences I believe there is a next level to move on to. Something more than this. I'm in no hurry to get there but I personally have been convinced. Not by dogma or cons but by nature and circumstance. It's just my opinion.

Just aman

• 2 weeks later...

One thing, life is nice, but what about the people that have already passed on? Theres a few people I plan on seeing when I'm up there, and I do not feel like living forever. Also, I dont think in our lifetimes we'll experience this, maybe toward the end, but I think in the end, the population would get to dense, and we'd be fighting for a place to live, unless of course we could live on Mars. :spam:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Lacking faith in the afterlife, I fear death. Immortality is most definately a desirable goal, but I should hope that it came in such a fashion that I, and I alone, was able to end it should I become bored. (can't see this happening until we've found a UFT--a good ways off)

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Raider

Lacking faith in the afterlife, I fear death. Immortality is most definately a desirable goal, but I should hope that it came in such a fashion that I, and I alone, was able to end it should I become bored. (can't see this happening until we've found a UFT--a good ways off)

It is only if you HAVE faith in the afterlife that you should be afraid. Shakespeare said it best: what dreams may come?

If you are like me...convinced it is on to organic decay..nuthin else. There is nothing to fear--but fear itself (and fear itself is pretty scary!!)

Bill

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

My favorite view on life was mentioned in the Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury.

"Life is its own answer. Life was the propagation of more life and the living of as good a life as possible."

As such, to me, immortality isn't of any use. For one thing, you'd get bored quickly. Second of all, using the above as my reasoning of life, assuming my view on the qualities of evolution, the human body would lose the capacity to reproduce should we all be immortal. Hence life cannot be the propagation of more life.

To put it simply, maybe an extended life, but not immortality.

• 5 months later...

for those people who just want to live longer, if you delay the reproduction process you may be able to live a lot longer (after all, your point in life is to reproduce), and the aging process ends at aprx. 95 years old.

Guest Technicist

“This is the outward and upward straining life-feeling.... The intoxicated soul wills to fly above space and time. An ineffable longing tempts him to indefinable horizons. Man would free himself from the earth, rise into the infinite, leave the bonds of the body, and circle in the universe of space amongst the stars.” -Oswald Spengler

Well it's fairly obvious how I feel.

• 3 weeks later...

NO ONE LIVES FOREVER

even if the technology is there, some disaster/accident could kill us too, and i don't want to live forever DEFINITELY, I am sure that's the most terrible thing in the world

WE NEED TO DIE

P.S.FEEL FREE TO EDIT MY POST IN ORDER TO ADJUST MY FONT SIZE :embarass:

i think that i would, just to be different, so that people cant say to me "if not now, when?" then i can say, ahhh, in a few millions years maybe!

i doub that this will ever be. i doubt that the technology will come around, we will still age, and after a certain amount of ageing, we die, it is natural, it will be hard to stop it... and even if we could, i doubt it would become public.

I think we will accomplish it; well, at least we will be able to live for extraordinary lengths of time. Nothing lasts forever (or does it). I don't know what alot people have against living for really long periods of time. It seems that quality of life would come along with long life. All of your friends and family get it too and if you really want to end it then you could do that as well.

yes, but unfortunatly, that would cost quite a bit of money, for example, criogenics, that cost so much money, and most people don't even believe it can happen, most people don't believe in how advanced our technology is

Have any of you read Greg Bear's: Eon. It has the idea of a mainframe that stores people consiousness after their bodies pass on. Would any of you change your view on immortailty if you were robbed of your body but got to your mind got to live in a pseudo-matrix?

I think I probably would take the chance to live forever. Of course, not the way Thales put it. That wouldn't be much of a life at all. I'd want to have my body (in good and healthy condition) forever if I were to live forever. And I mean my original body at that. Otherwise, I'll just let life take its course.