Virology

I'm considering a career in virology, a subject that has always held special interest to me. I was hoping that someone might be in this field, and could give some feedback (i.e. like/dislike, pay, aspects, et.)

also, i am interested in a lesser degree to the military, is there any way the two could be merged?

since when is engineering viruses not legal?

I'm not really sure, but I think biological weapons are outlawed by international treaty?

Yup:

The creation and stockpiling of biological weapons ("offensive BW") was outlawed by the 1972 Biological Weapons Convention (BWC), signed by over 100 countries. The BWC remains in force. The rationale behind the agreement is to avoid the devastating impact of a successful biological attack which could conceivably result in millions, possibly even billions, of deaths and cause severe disruptions to societies and economies. Oddly enough, the convention prohibits only creation and storage, but not usage, of these weapons. However, the consensus among military analysts is that, except in the context of bioterrorism, BW is of little military use. Many countries pursue "defensive BW" research (defensive or protective applications) which are not prohibited by the BWC. As a tactical weapon, the main military problem with a BW attack is that it would take days to be effective, and therefore, unlike a nuclear or chemical attack, would not immediately stop an opposing force. As a strategic weapon, BW is again militarily problematic, although with a possible exception with the Soviets, the weaponized biological agents did not spread from person to person. Spread is less of a concern for terrorists, but it was very much a concern for post-WWII BW development by major powers.

Doesn't seem like bioweapons is a particularly hot field, except for defense.

To be honest, I think bioweapons are more scary than nukes.