Teleportation.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suppose that in some inertial reference frame, some object is at rest. Thus, its speed is zero in the inertial reference frame. By Galileo's law of inertia, the center of mass of that object will remain at rest in the frame, for so long as no external force acts upon it.

now, suppose that you want it to jump in some direction instantly, say one mile whatever.

Is such a feat possible?

Seems to me that's what you guys mean when you say "teleportation of matter"

Well I can say this much:

Suppose something external does act upon it at moment in time t, to accelerate the center of mass of the object in frame S.

Then there will be two consecutive moments in time, one at which the CM of the object was at one position, and the very next moment in time, the CM would not be there anymore, it would have jumed some distance.

So in a sense, what you are calling teleportation not only is possible, it is necessary. It has to happen in order for anything to move.

What is not possible is for the distances jumped to be arbitrary.

How far the CM jumps in the frame will be a function of several variables.

The inertial mass of the object for one.

And also, the magnitude of the applied external force for two.

And I can make the answer depend upon other variables as well.

Regards

No such thing has ever been done, nor will ever be done, since it's impossible. No one has ever claimed that any such thing has ever been done. You watch too much Star Trek. "Teleportation" is a flight of fancy made up by Gene Roddenbury. No such thing will ever exist since it's impossible.

forigve my idiocy, but didnt everybody think that about all the other inventions that were in star trek..?

One day we'll all have a holodeck of our own!

I know most people think science is more aout finding the answers to questions, thus putting an end to questions, but in reality doesn't it just make us think up more? Why wouldn't we be able to transfere matter?