Teleportation.

There was a young lady named Bright,

Whose speed was far faster than light;

She set out one day,

In a relative way,

And returned home the previous night.

Originally posted by aman

but I didn't get the impression they had it arrive ahead of itself.

Here's an article about Wang's superluminal experiment that mentions the peak of the pulse exiting the chamber before it entered.

Here's the abstract to Wang's experiment.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Blike, Those were interesting articles and I'd heard of it before but never seen it's documentation. I'm surprised they didnt claim they "teleported " photons like the articles we read now.

As long as they generated the photons and fired them before the phenomena was recorded I'm impressed but not surprised. If they appeared before they were fired I'd be sitting here eating my hat. I know there is a sub microcosom explanation and they try to say it is a wave effect. That is they seem to say the wave effect caused the photons and ahead of them to appear before they got there. I believe it might also be a quantum lens effect but we still haven't cracked the sub-quantum barrier so its just my opinion.

Isn't it wonderful to be able to discuss the edge. Maybe we can figure teleportation out right here on our screens with all your young minds. Just for thought.

Just aman

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hogslayer

What happens to the matter that was once in the space where the teleported matter appears?

And what happens to the void where the matter used to be?

And wouldn't bending space be accomplishing the same thing?

The name of this website should be changed to "sciencefiction forums". I don't mind educating profoundly ignorant people, however, you people don't want to be educated since you prefer to be profoundly ignorant. It would not be possible for you to ever be educated or be raised above your current level of profound ignorance so there's nothing I can do to help you.

Originally posted by jefferywinkler

The name of this website should be changed to "sciencefiction forums". I don't mind educating profoundly ignorant people, however, you people don't want to be educated since you prefer to be profoundly ignorant. It would not be possible for you to ever be educated or be raised above your current level of profound ignorance so there's nothing I can do to help you.

ever heard of Peter Knight?

Well, everyone is entitled to there own opinion. Even though they may be far off. Just insulting someone because they have a opinion that differs from yours shows your ignorance..

I hope winkler doesn't have kids. He just proved what I was saying. It's hard to develop good social skills when everybody else is an idiot. If he truly believes he is above everybody then I hope he realizes it's awful lonely at the top.

It was interesting to hear his opinion. I hope he sticks around cus I thought it was funny.

Just aman

• 2 months later...
Guest Xphile

This is just a comment... JefferyWinkler or whatever your name is, you could be correct on what you are saying, but you DON'T know for sure..

Remember, there was a time, when the world was flat, or we only dreamed of flying, or going into space, going to the moon, going deepsea, etc..... Heck, there was even a time, when anyone mentioning something like a robot, etc, would be alien, and that it will never happen...

How about the lasers we have today... .. that was just some one that made that up too for sciencefiction books... etc.

So in essence, you could be right, but you don't know...

we find and create things, that can change all that we know.

The limitations you base your thoughts on, are those that are preceived from past and present resources, and not those of future occurances.

Hell, we can clone people / animals, grow parts, etc...

We can create lifeforms (bacteria, yes but still.. .) in testtubes, by mixing chemicals, and fluids together....

All these things, were once argued like you argue "teleportation".

And look today.. it is possible.

Only time will tell..... We may progress to the next level of evolution, and our physical matter, may be altered to a degree where we can do something similar to that..

Again we don't know..

So chill out, and remember this is a forum you are typing in, and not a noble prize award seminar.. we are all just talking..

Guest Xphile

btw: I forgot to add..

The startrek teleportation device, is not a "magic trick"..

The matter of the object being teleported does not just disapear, and then reappear in the teleporter..

If you are so , keen on the the knowledge behind this, to put it down so much, then think about it..

The teleporter in startrek, breaks down the object to it's smallest form (hence the : " Getting a lock on " the object).

Once it breaks it down (due to the above mentioned, it is now in a ray of energy), it is transported < -- Not MATERIALIZED, TRANSPORTED, from one location to another...

The matter, is MOVED to the location, not just APPEARING at the location.. again, hense because when they are too far underthe ground for example, they can not TRANSPORT (Which means move.. incase you did'nt know :) ), the object, because the matter, can not go through all the solid barriers.

The building of viruses was by pieces they bought from a lab. The lab did not build the pieces but broke previously whole viruses up into pieces and then multiplied the pieces so they had a stock of them sorted to sell. A group only bought some of the duplicated pieces and put them back together again.

We still can't put one together from scratch.

Just aman

• 1 year later...
You're a moron. Anyone who thinks there's such a thing as "teleportation" is retarded.

http://www.geocities.com/jefferywinkler

I see there was a "discussion" of the possibility of teleportation a couple of years back, at SFN.

Not sure what physicists mean when they refer to teleportation, these days---think its putting a particle over there in the same state as one over here: transfer of a quantum state. Was an article about it in the SFN news section.

what concerns me is a question of style, which I've seen in other contexts.

this is kind of a model

No such thing has ever been done, nor will ever be done, since it's impossible. No one has ever claimed that any such thing has ever been done. You watch too much Star Trek. "Teleportation" is a flight of fancy made up by Gene Roddenbury. No such thing will ever exist since it's impossible.

Oh Jesus Christ....I know infinitely more about Bell's Inequality than you' date=' and I don't use the phrase "quantum teleportation" since it confuses uneducated people. I've written extensively about this subject. In the so-called EPR paradox, information could be said to instantly transfer from one location to another. It does not involve a particle instantly disappearing from one location and reappearing at another location. If you look at the other messages in this thread people are talking about "teleporting atoms". These people are not talking about anything having to do with quantum mechanics or entangled wavefunctions. They are talking Star Trek, which is what 99.9% of people think of when they hear the word "teleportion".

Gene Roddenberry just made that up, because it was such a low budget show, he couldn't afford to show the shuttle landing, taking off, every time someone had to go to a planet. It would have taken too much time out of a one hour show to do that every single time the characters went from the ship to the planet, and vice versa. So he just made up a thing where matter magically disappears and reappears at a different location. It's not different than the TV shows Hercules and Xena where the gods could disappear and reappear somewhere else. That is utterly impossible, and will always be impossible. That is what everybody else is talking about.[/quote']

If you read the posts by this person called "One" then you see why I used the language I used before. It's just exasperating. You can't talk sense into these people. It's very unfortunate that the word "teleportation" was ever used to refer to this quantum entanglement phenomenon. I wish they had called it something else. You can tell that everyone else on this board sincerely believes that this has something to do with Star Trek teleportation. That is what everyone in the world other than a few quantum mechanics researchers mean by the word. No photon was ever "teleported" in the sense that everyone on this board is using the word. The fact that in an unfortunate coincidence' date=' the word "teleport" appeared in a scientific paper is more than enough excuse for the nutcases out there to say that we are on the road that will lead to Star Trek transporters. There are so many ignorant people out there who know nothing about science, but think they do just because they watch science-fiction, which isn't any more scientific than any other work of fantasy. There are people against human cloning just because they are confusing it with science-fiction cloning.

I don't know how to get it through these people's skulls. If you think "teleportation", in the sense that everyone uses the word, will ever be possible, then you are a total idiot. No one has "teleported" a photon or anything else, nor will any such thing ever happen.[/quote']

arrogance and occasional dishonest style of argument---looks to me like a strawman was used (they werent talking about the StarTrek teleporter room but about something one might try to get to happen in a physics lab)

the aim of discussing doesnt seem to be to arrive at truth or get interesting facts out in the open but to achieve successful personal attack

I would not be interested in discussing anything (however interesting the topic) with such a person----I guess, maybe I would but I dont think so.

• 9 months later...

BTW, I heard they were on there way to encoding there own bacteria using RNA (primitive version of DNA, now used as a messenger for DNA), and also, technically you really couldnt instantly transport an atom... the atoms characteristics yes (as all the articles posted are saying) the matter it self, I dont think so. It might be possible to somehow transport matter at a very fast speed though (as in the 'hated' startrek transportation {lol @ jeffery}).

Have fun debatin! :)

august 19' date=' 2004

quantum teleportation across the danube river

the articles says that a group of scientists sucessfuly teleported photons across 600 meters

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?

^there is a lot more to the web adress

i don't know if it is still there. but it should be[/quote']

Just so there's no misunderstanding: quantum teleportation is not the teleportation of matter.

A theory that remains true even today 'matter can not be created or destroyed'.

Why do you say this? A simple formation of an electron positron pair is the creation of matter (together with antimatter).

On the discussion at hand, I find myself agreeing with Martin (on all points).

Quantum teleportation is not a teleportation of matter. It's a transfer of a quantum state to an arbitrarily distant location using an entangled state and the transmission of some classical information.

i read an article in popular science that discussed it and said it was theoretically possible,but we wont have the technology for hundreds of years. in the real-life scenario,it doesnt work exactly like STNG. basically it would scan you(get your exact DNA pattern and record the section of your brain where memory signatures are stored) and keep a digital file of your personal physical pattern. this would be done long before actual teleportation as it is a long process,so it wouldnt be done instantly like on STNG. you would have to set up and appointment with a (doctor?) to get your pattern done. now,when you get ready to teleport,it literally vaporizes your body. poof. the particles are stored for use later when you return. when you get to the other side,it literally reconstructs your body from the DNA pattern. however,unlike the porting in STNG,it doesnt physically transport your atoms. what it does is it re-creates you out of the available materials on the other side.(this could be your own particles mixed with someone elses as well as using neutral particles of matter and energy) so,when you get to the other side,you are literally a whole new you(essentially a cloned version of you)but you still have your own memories,personality traits,and DNA pattern. sound creepy? the reason they could do this is because when you break matter down to a subatomic level,everyone and everything is made from the same basic building blocks. the atoms are just arranged in different patterns. you have the same stuff in you that is in the sun or a sea clam,it is just arranged differently. once you have someones pattern,you can reconstruct them out of any available matter. they could litterally be remaking you out of garbage atoms,or deer atoms,etc. the only question becomes...does my soul go back into my body or is it also capable of being rebuilt from matter and energy?

i know it sounds pretty far out,and maybe i didnt explain it very good,but i am not a biologist or a physicist either. its supposed to be within the realm of possibility in the future...