Religious Affiliation and Suicide Attempts

doG

To foursixandtwo

Correct me if I am wrong, but does not the Mormon church have very strong social proscriptions against any of its members that stray, even a little?

Humans are gregarious animals, and the most important thing in most of our lives are other humans. To be treated as an outsider, and treated with contempt, is one of the most powerful drivers of depression of them all. Maybe the Mormon church drives members or ex members to suicide by social ostracision and criticism??

the JW`s do the same, and you`re labeled an "apostate" and Will go to Hell if you stray also, your address gets blacklisted and none of your "Friends" (no matter how long you`ve known them for) will ever talk or even Look at you again!

*sigh*

To foursixandtwo

Correct me if I am wrong, but does not the Mormon church have very strong social proscriptions against any of its members that stray, even a little?

There is actually a lot of varience but in many cases yes. Still i would not be arrogant enough to pin the church as THE cause of these statistics, but it would be ludicris to say that it is not a key factor, the correlation just coincidence.

However based on YTs information which is new to me, Jehovah Witnesses definately have Mormonism beat in the realm of ostracision. Thank God they are not as numerous. Um or thank the primordial ooze . . .

It would seem to me that many Atheists, would understand the fact that the chances of a god existing and watching over our single planet is slim.

I agree with the fact that Atheists would have less moral objections to suicide also. I would recommend Emile Durkenheim's studies of social integration and suicide for anyone interested in this topic further.

I would tend to suspect that most suicides have little to do with logic. Saying that :"I must not suicide, or God will be angry" is a kind of religious logic. I suspect that most suicides are carried out for emotional reasons, and logic has little or no influence on the decision.

I would tend to suspect that most suicides have little to do with logic. Saying that :"I must not suicide, or God will be angry" is a kind of religious logic. I suspect that most suicides are carried out for emotional reasons, and logic has little or no influence on the decision.

Most suicides are probably carried out by those in the 8% carrying a genetic predidposition to depression , or the estimated 2% carrying a predisposition to Bipolar Spectrum Disorder. Add drug or alcohol abuse, and life stressors, and the likelihood goes up.