What do you not like about SFN?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? I found Fred56 particularly amusing, especially toward the end just before he got banned. Not quite as much as ATOMIKPSYCHO, I agree with you there.

He was more annoying because his posts got replies rather than deletions.

---

Recommendation: some less harsh controls, for example the ability to set specific posts to hidden for others, instead of deleting them. Likewise, maybe putting people on a global ignore list. This way, they can still speak, but people know that they don't need to reply to them.

---

Re user requests for banning someone, they could be weighted by the reputation, join date, and/or number of posts. More "important" people would need more votes against them to be suspended, and more "important" people would have more say. If they could be added to a global ignore list instead, that may be better as well (to help prevent abuse)

How could you prevent abuse of it?

Limit the feature to reports from people with more than 50 posts so someone can't register ten sockpuppets and then ban Dak at will?

hmm... why me? :D

an alternative would be to choose a load of people who have been here for ages and we trust not to be tits with it and give them the ability to click a button and simultaniously report and soft-delete a post at will (maybe a max of 10 a day or something). looooooooads of people spring to mind who could do that.

duno wether that's feasable from an implimentation pov, but either way would deal with, e.g., random tubgirl postings.

The seemingly growing number of posts that I read, reread, and read again, and yet they seem to make no sense whatsoever, an apparently unrelated string of words with no actual sense.
This is exactly what about me mates and I were laughing out loud speakers of the house of the rising temperatures in the north by northwest passage denied.

The seemingly growing number of posts that I read, reread, and read again, and yet they seem to make no sense whatsoever, an apparently unrelated string of words with no actual sense.

Some people are hard to understand. For example, the sentence "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is a meaningful, grammatically correct sentence, but most people can't understand it. Of course, there's also plenty of people who are completely crazy all over the internet, and they are very annoying.

Sometimes I try to make a very narrow, specific point, and then people read a whole lot more into what I said than what I actually said, and that too is annoying.

Or maybe they translated their post using Babelfish from English to Dutch to French to German and back to English, like I just did with your post. :D

The apparently rising number of posts I do not have that read, again read and read and however her seem again, in order to hold obviously a non connected rope of the words without effective meaning of any nature of the stinging pain.

So basically what I see here is a want for a Slashdot-style moderation system where established members can help weed out crap.

Sounds interesting. There may be a vBulletin plugin for it; if there isn't, I'll see how difficult it would be to do. It would be an interesting project to try.

So basically what I see here is a want for a Slashdot-style moderation system where established members can help weed out crap.

Sounds interesting. There may be a vBulletin plugin for it; if there isn't, I'll see how difficult it would be to do. It would be an interesting project to try.

Kind of, but I think that Slashdot took it a bit too far with having (visible) scores for each post. I have recently switched from Slashdot to here, and I like the atmosphere here much more. Slashdot has waaaaay more groupthink than here, and I think that is due to their moderation system. Or they reached critical mass, or something. Don't turn SFN into Slashdot!

What I do like about Slashdot is their use of hiding bad posts instead of deleting them. Their use of subthreads also makes it easier to carry on conversations, but likewise increases the conversation:discussion ratio.

OTOH, user moderation would make it possible to have things like the religion forum without overworking the moderators.

Anyhow, there are good aspects and bad aspects, and some of these may go together.

That bothers me quite a bit too. I know it's mostly because of how vB's search was designed in the first place, but there must be some plugin to improve it...

I hate the Vb search function. I usually just use google to search for threads... would Vb allow for a google hack, or something?

I can do one of two things:

• Make the vB search function take you to google.
  • Make the vB search function use a system like Sphinx and have it sort by relevance by default.

The latter would be a better solution because it wouldn't double-count threads and stuff. I'll have to see how mature the solution for Sphinx search is.

Or maybe they translated their post using Babelfish from English to Dutch to French to German and back to English, like I just did with your post. :D

True but, I'm referring mainly to people who I've seen make posts which are at least intelligible in the past.

I really don't have any trouble with the search function myself. I usually use the advanced search interface and quotes when needed. It would be helpful if vB produced a helpfile that described what operators are allowed like booleans or regex.

i suppose a plugin that stops you making a complete ass of yourself when you're drunk on the forums is out of the question?

I think that's a must for us post pub posting people...ugh, try saying that when you're drunk.

I like iNow's idea of a limited font size for sigs...there is simply no need for THIS ! -_-

works fine with epiphany 2.20.1 on kernel 2.6.23.12-2 :P

I won't be changin' browsers or OSs anytime soon. It's company issue.

It's only in threads with big pictures. All of the other menu items work (Home, Forums, User CP, New Posts, etc...) but the Quicklinks drop-down won't drop-down in those threads. Works fine in all others. :-(

All of the drop down nav links seem to be affected. It looks like it's choking on something in the style sheet when the oversize picture stretches the window width. At the vBulletin forums it looks like the standard answer is remove all hacks and try the default templates which seems to have fixed it for everyone that's tried it.

Hmmm.....Thank you for this opportunity to get the following off of my chest.

I don't like the fact that the atheist and agnostic majority on this site take shots at Christians and members of other religions at every opportunity. :confused:

Why? I dunno, but it seems kind of useless.:doh:

Contrary to your belief, belief in a higher power does not automatically equate with ignorance. If you don't believe me, just ask Einstein when you see him....no, wait you probably won't see him, so....... never mind. But, anyway, enough already.

If you feel the need to respond to this, you are very likely guilty, so, please, in the name of all that is holy, give it a rest.>:D

There, I said it. Don't you feel better now? No? Well, I do.

Peace.

You could always change the channel. How do you feel about the site's functionality though?

That's too easy. I will not go quietly into the night.

Hey....was that a response?

Re: functionality.

I believe that the site's functionality is quite funtional. Some person or persons did a great job.