H2O2 Safe for Whitening Teeth?

dubois928

I just wanted to get an opinion from a more informed group. Is 3% (over-the-counter) Hydrogen peroxide safe to swish around to help whiten teeth? I've heard from many sources that it is, others say it will destroy the enamel.

Thanks,

Kenneth Anderson

Hydrogen peroxide is highly toxic to all life. Anaerobic life forms (like us) have enzymes to break it down. H2O2 is a type of bleach (though after it is used up it is just water). I think it will not directly harm your teeth, but it might remove the protection of fluoride.

peroxide is used as a whitening agent, if you want a specific account of it you can probably get a pretty good description from a google search. There has been some uncertainty about it's affect on protective enamel. So, is it safe to swish around? Yes. Is it safe to swish around every day forever? I don't know. I would ask a dentist.

it's definitely safe to swish around (dont drink any quantity), as for it's whitening affect, it's tough to say, in such a diluted solution, it probably will have little effect. Just buy the "white strips" for 20 bucks, they last for weeks and work quite amazingly.

Did you mean aerobic life forms? ;)

Yes, I meant aerobic life has the enzymes to break down H2O2. Anaerobic life is SOL even in just oxygen. Thanks for the correction. :embarass:

From http://www.ehow.com/tips_3071.html

by eHow Friend on 2/16/2006

Hydrogen peroxide - May I just issue a word of warning to all those thinking of experimenting with hydrogen peroxide. None of the tips have included details of appropriate concentrations. Hydrogen peroxide can be very nasty stuff. If you gargle with standard tech grade hydrogen peroxide' date=' which is usually a 30% solution in water, it will dissolve the lining of your mouth within a few seconds. [/b']I imagine the appropriate concentration on it must be around 1% or less.

by eHow Friend on 1/18/2006

Never put salt in one of those mixes - If you've made it this far you've read countless tips saying hydrogen peroxide, salt, and baking soda.

Do not use salt!

The reason salt helps is because it is abrasive and wears out the outer layer of your teeth, thus giving a white smile. Doing this will have obvious consequences; such as sensitive gums and teeth, and cavities.

From http://www.otan.dni.us/webfarm/emailproject/white.htm

Hi,

I am a dental student and I was concerned by some of the remedies shared on your tooth whitening section.As for lemon juice... don't do it! It's an acid and can harm your teeth. You may end up with a LOT of cavities and irreparably damaged tooth enamel.

The reason that lemon juice "works" is that it causes the teeth to lose calcium (which gives teeth some of their off-white color). Calcium is a major component of healthy teeth, and once it is lost, your teeth become very susceptible to decay. DO NOT use lemon juice for whitening.If you choose to brush with strawberries, be sure to brush your teeth IMMEDIATELY afterwards with fluoride toothpaste and also FLOSS. The sugar and acid in the strawberry will harm your teeth more than it will help if

you don't immediately brush your teeth with regular toothpaste. Also be cautious of brushing too vigorously as the strawberry seeds could damage the gums (or even the teeth).The best home methods are baking soda or hydrogen peroxide. Try to

stick with these. Remember that these are not a substitute for brushing with

fluoride toothpaste -- you must brush with fluoride toothpaste after ANY whitening method to prevent tooth decay.Thanks for sharing this with your readers!

http://www.snopes.com/medical/homecure/peroxide.asp

most solutions readily attainable from a pharmacy are 3% conc H2O2 iirc. i'd say whoever said 6% is the highest to go is right on the money...H2O2 is a crazy crazy crazy chemical. (but when experimented with properly, can result in AMAZING reactions...including extremely powerful rocket motors. haha)

it's definitely safe to swish around (dont drink any quantity), as for it's whitening affect, it's tough to say, in such a diluted solution, it probably will have little effect. Just buy the "white strips" for 20 bucks, they last for weeks and work quite amazingly.

it's probably got some nasty chemicals of it's own tho, right?

does this bleach actually get rid of plaque, or just make it hard to see?

it's probably got some nasty chemicals of it's own tho, right?

does this bleach actually get rid of plaque, or just make it hard to see?

It doesn't do anything to plaque. I just bleaches the surface of the enamel. That's all any "whitener" does.

H2O2 or hydrogen peroxide is a very interresting compound, (as a kid a had an accident, i drank a sip out of a soda bottle, wich was full of 30% h2o2. the scarriest thing of my child hood. well maybe not the scariest). also higher percentage solutions such as 95-100% are used as rocket fuel or even explosives, which are very unstable. so, 6% concentration of this is used even for cleaning wounds (as well as similar oxidizing agents). i think it would rather burn the bacteria in your mouth, than the flesh of your tongue that would happen with the 30%. i presume it is safe to use hydrogen peroxide for cleaning.

p.s. sorry for my bad english.

The vanity of human species never ceases to amaze me.

What a choice. Death or bright teeth?

On the bright (no pun) side, it apparently does NOT cause anal leakage .

yeah, about that, does temperature make the peroxide less stable and makes it divide into oxygen and water?

H202 is not as dangerous as we are making out.

Teeth Bleaching (whitening) kits contain 9%w/w H2O2, the MSDS describes medial attention if swallowed as NILL, unless symptoms occur - see a doctor.

If you want to make your own teeth bleach, ill give you the ingredients:

Glicerin (gel solvent and sweetener), H20 (solvent), H202 (whitener), Carbomer (to make liquid into gel), Sodium Hydroxide (pH up), PVP (water soluble polymer for gel), flavour (mint etc...) Potassium nitrate (whitener, KNO3), Sodium Saccharin (sweetener), Disoidum EDTA (to complex any metals that contaminate the product).

Really all you need is H2O2, NaOH, KNO3, thats what the dentist gives you, but with the sweeteners and gel forming agents.

You can use the 6% h2o2 in chemists, or buy 30% from pool supplers.

Also, the care taken when using bleaching kits if more for gums then stomach, gums care very susceptible to disease, more people have gum problems then teeth problems.

H202 is not as dangerous as we are making out.

Teeth Bleaching (whitening) kits contain 9%w/w H2O2, the MSDS describes medial attention if swallowed as NILL, unless symptoms occur - see a doctor.

If you want to make your own teeth bleach, ill give you the ingredients:

Glicerin (gel solvent and sweetener), H20 (solvent), H202 (whitener), Carbomer (to make liquid into gel), Sodium Hydroxide (pH up), PVP (water soluble polymer for gel), flavour (mint etc...) Potassium nitrate (whitener, KNO3), Sodium Saccharin (sweetener), Disoidum EDTA (to complex any metals that contaminate the product).

Really all you need is H2O2, NaOH, KNO3, thats what the dentist gives you, but with the sweeteners and gel forming agents.

You can use the 6% h2o2 in chemists, or buy 30% from pool supplers.

Also, the care taken when using bleaching kits if more for gums then stomach, gums care very susceptible to disease, more people have gum problems then teeth problems.

Oh my gosh.:eek:

PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO MAKE YOUR OWN TEETH WHITENING CONCOCTIONS AT HOME.

• 8 years later...

Hydrogen peroxide is extremely imprudent chemical that consists of oxygen and hydrogen. It’s chiefly utilized for other chemicals and to lighten textiles and paper. Contact lenses can also be sterilized with highly diluted hydrogen peroxide. Moreover, hydrogen is superb agent for teeth whitening.

Steps to use H2O2:

Step 1: First brush your teeth with regular toothpaste and rinse with water nicely.

Step 2: Now pour small amount of peroxide about ¼ cup into fresh glass and revolve it around mouth for 2 minutes at maximum. Do not swallow any portion of peroxide. And then spit and wash your mouth nicely.

Step 3: After that dip clean cotton into hydrogen peroxide and simply rub your tooth exterior. Doing will also increase teeth’s whitening.

Step 4: Then use plain water to rinse your mouth. If bubbles are sensed around teeth, then rinse again till peroxide is removed completely.

Step 5: Repeat same process for two to three weeks at least to enjoy best results.

Do NOT use hydrogen peroxide on your teeth.

I diffuses to the blood vessels and dissolved oxygen creates emboles at other body locations, for instance in the brain.

Peroxide contains a stabilizer to avoid its decomposition, and this stabilizer is unsound.