Balance This?

CrazCo

So you got

[ce]2TiO2 + 3C + 4Cl2 -> 2TiCl4 + CO2 + 2CO[/ce],

correct?

That sounds right to me. I can't think of any other way of doing it. How'd you do it the second time?

I'd imagine you could change the CO2 to CO ratio of the equation by adjusting the quantity of carbon. Or are there rules for the CO2 to CO ratio?

you could have another carbon in there and only produce CO with no CO2 at all and it would be valid. i would imagine that in the real world reaction of that then this reaction would also occur as the carbon would likely be in excess.

alternatively you could have one less carbon and produce 2 moles of CO2 which would probably also occur but the question does not ask about this.

but the point is, tweaking the amount of carbon can tweak the CO2:CO ratio produced.

"Just out of curiosity, how nasty is COCl2?"

Well, it makes the equation diffcult to balance and it was used as a war gas. That's 2 sorts of nasty.

Actually, titanic chloride is pretty unpleasant too (and I didn't make up the name). I'd guess it is comparable with COCl2. Since the whole point would be to capture the TiCl4 to process into titanium they would probabaly keep the COCl2 under control too.

If it were my plant I'd probably try to keep the excess of carbon small so as not to waste it (though C is cheap) and to avioid dealing with CO which is not just toxic, but flammable too.

well i think the reactions effectiveness will be measured in terms of how much TiCl4 is created out of an amount of TiO2 so either carbon or chlorine would be in excess. C is both cheaper and less dangerous than the Cl so it would make sense to bump up the amount of C. an excess of Cl2 might also result in unwanted side reactions as it is so reactive as well.