Mars could have once sustained life!!!

This is truly amazing. For all those pessimistic people who thought that absolutely nothing ever existed on Mars and will never exist...they might just want to think again. Scientists from NASA have confirmed that Mars was once "soaking wet". There could have been life there who knows how many years ago. But this is truly big. ;)

STOP STEALING MY NAME.

All that we can really say at this stage is that it's certain that Mars did not definitely not have life. If you can get anything out of that tangle of words I call a sentence.

Simpler version:

We know that it's not impossible that life existed on mars.

Woah..i dont get the name stealing thing that you mentioned and you might want to have a look at your grammar before you took about my tangle of words..I still can't make sense out of it.

I didn't see NASA's dramatic declaration (I just know there should have been one today) but the fact that there is water on mars doesn't necessarily say it had life, it says it CAN sustain *our definition of life* or in a simpler version - life that migth resemble life on earth.

I never denied the possibiltiy of life on mars, actually, this finding just means that the life on mars might resemble life on earth.

Great finding btw.

~moo

Here is how i look at it. They have proof that Mars was once a world filled with water. So there is the possiblility that it could have sustained a bacterial form of life. When they speak of life on Mars, this is what they mean. They do not mean that there there were six foot tall creatures, with opposable thumbs, running around trying to build things.

Take a look at three planets. Venus, Earth, and Mars. That is the order from which they move away from the sun. Respectively they are the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th planet from the sun. We all know that the closer you get to the sun, the hotter it will be. Venus being the closest of the three is extremely hot, and cannot contain any form of life. The average surface temp is 482 C. Then you look at Mars Which is further away. Its surface temp is around -62 C. So at one point in time it may have been warm enough to have water. Mars also has the suggestion of a system of seasons. The color of the atmosphere changes in the same way the the earth changes season. So we are getting closer to my point.

You have Venus which is too close to the sun to support anything. Then you have the earth which is in perfect position for supporting life. Then you have Mars which is not too close to the sun to burn everything out, but is far enough to cause trouble with the cold. Mars surface temp isnt that far away from being life supportable. It is only about 75 degrees too cold, which is nothing. So Mars isnt being burned up and is just a little too cold to support life.

I dont know enough to know why the earth is in the perfect position to support life. But i do know that the universe is designed to take care of itself. A simple example would be inside the human body. Our immune system is there to take care of any problems. Here is my theory. Our solar system has designed itself to create a planet with the perfect atmosphere, by having 9 planets positioned with our sun in an ascending pattern. They start close and get further away. Basically, it is a trial and error solar system. Spread the planets out and see which one is successful. In our solar system, probably because of the distance from the burning sun and the tolerance of its radiation, the third planet from the sun seems to be in the best position. It makes sense that the planet one step closer to the sun is too hot. And the planet one step away is just barely too cold. In the beginning the planet Mars was getting ready to be a life supporting planet, It was probably warm enough because of all the activity going on that created the planet in the first place. It got so far as to produce a source of water for its inhabitants, but it started to reduce in temperature and slowly deteriorated into a barren rock. So we have proof that the planet started preparing a home for life to flourish, but now we have to see if it got so far as to actually start the process of creating living oranisms.

Now back to the trial and error theory, we notice that Mars is a bit smaller than earth. Maybe the solar system made Mars this way in order to attract more heat from the sun. Its easier to heat something small than something large. Which brings me to Pluto the farthest and smallest. The solar system was trying to see if a really small planet farther away would be a good supporter of life. Now think about, what if Pluto was a few positions closer. Maybe so far as to be in Mars' position. I wonder if the smaller and further away trial would have worked it it was a little closer.

Give me some feedback.

Yeah, creatures on Earth. Earth isnt even close to being as cold as Mars. And you say, "what if they adapt." Well, I dont see any signs of a civilization on Mars, so obviously they couldnt adapt. So if the Earth's ozone depletes tomorrow, are we supposed to just "adapt." :zzz:

This is true. Individuals adapt very poorly in an ecological sense, and not at all in the sense of improving genetic fitness - a species as a whole may adapt over time, but there are instances where it just won't happen.

And yes Cap'n Refsmmat, heat is a problem. Particularly to organisms with a narrow temperature range in which the biochemistry can possibly work - IE, most of them.

Wait, I think I got you wrong...

are you saying there cannot be any life form that sustains incredible heat or cold?

If I did understand that right, then I completely disagree. Other than the fact I have tons of scifi books to suggest (that actually show up really neat biology ideas about life forms that defy earth's biology rules - in a scientifical way of course), I have much to say on the subject, but I'm not sure I got it right...

did I? O.O

~moo

Your talking about scifi books? Just because somebody can think of it, doesnt mean it can actually happen. And obviously, it hasnt happened in this solar system. How can an organism adapt, if it cant survive long enough to reproduce. And with a deteriorating environment, such as it was when the planet had a chance to produce life, way back in the beginning stages of its development, the oranism no longer has the foundation to even try.

I think that life in this solar system depends on sunlight, water, and oxygen. Without the correct proportions of these elements, life will not thrive. All the planets are depending on the same sun and the same elements from the periodic table, so the beginnings of life would all be the same. I think that in the beginning all of the planets were similar to earth. But for many different reasons, varying from planet to planet, the environment broke down and turned into what it is now. So according to my theory, there is one way for life to survive in this solar system. Sun, Oxygen, and Water. A single celled oranism, which is the beginning of life cannot flourish if these conditions deteriorate to what we see today. If it cannot flourish than it doesnt have time to learn to adapt. Adaption takes many generations, which didnt happen. The planets were not stable enough to allow the oranisms to create enough generations to adapt.

You shouldnt base your response on what you have read in scifi books.

DarthDooku said in post # :

You shouldnt base your response on what you have read in scifi books.

You should actually base your thing on some kind of fact, other than just saying 'it's like this, because it is'.

And the most important element for life (as we know it) is Carbon. By far.

You can get anaerobic life, you can definitely get life which isn't aquatic in any sense of the word, but you can't get life without carbon.

DarthDooku said in post # :

Your talking about scifi books? Just because somebody can think of it, doesnt mean it can actually happen. And obviously, it hasnt happened in this solar system.

Who is talking about books? What hasn't happened?

Sorry I am losing track - so very tired :confused:

MrL_JaKiri said in post # :

You should actually base your thing on some kind of fact, other than just saying 'it's like this, because it is'.

And the most important element for life (as we know it) is Carbon. By far.

You can get anaerobic life, you can definitely get life which isn't aquatic in any sense of the word, but you can't get life without carbon.

This is completely out of line. Who ever said i was stating facts. I was just expressing my thoughts in the form of a theory based on logic and a little creativity. Im sorry i dont have the resources to conduct scientific experiments to lend some kind of proof to my ideas. Its not like im submitting this stuff to NASA. Maybe people like you are the reason why scientists like Isaac Newton dont get recognized untill 100 years later. Maybe you need to be a little more open minded.

I gave out scifi books and STATED that they're not physical but *give a good idea* about physics and pseudoscience and all sorts of living creatures that we might not find on earth but might be found in space.

And besides - you said life won't live through heat, which besides the fact you can't SAY THAT just because there's not such thing on earth - it was actually proven you're wrong. Some life forms actually CAN sustain heavy heat.

And who said extraterrestrial (err.. alien.. whatever you call them) life has been through the SAME evolutionary system as us?! we have evolved to breath oxygen and to sustain a certain ammount of heat and radiation.

Theoretically, if there's a system of "trial and error" and a "magical beginning goo" of molecules and atoms and many many acids like earth had on it's beginning states, then there's NO REASON to say life wouldn't have been evolved differently.

On the contrary - it's EXTREMELY logical you'll find life that aren't by your definition, because its enough that the planet would be only SLIGHTLY different than ours, to create creatures that are EXTREMELY different than ours.

What better proof of that than to look on earth itself:

Within only a few thousand years, ONE race (humans) have evolved to "subraces"-- each different location humans have lived in had different environmental surroundings, and each group has evolved slightly differently - Black people, Caucasian, Chinese, Eskimos and so on. They all have a different physiology by now.

SLIGHTLY different, but if you think about it -- it's EXTREMELY huge for such a short time AND such a "short" distance. The environments are different around the world, but no doubt they're EXTREMELY similar in comparison to another PLANET.

So don't tell me it's not possible to have life that can sustain heat, or can breath acid, or can see through its digestion system. You have no way of knowing.

the only thing we *do* know is *our own* definition of life.

Which, we might have to change, in case we find life on other planets that - perhaps - do NOT fit that definition. So far we haven't met any, so we have no reason to change it.

It doesn't mean they don't exist in our infinite universe.

~moo

• 4 weeks later...