Iodine Precipitate

dubois928

no, alu foil is actually surprisingly Pure, to at least 2 decimal places back! yeah I know, I was quite astonished to find this out too :)

I`m not sure about the CuSO4 + KI rxn???

the easiest way normally is displace it with another Halogen further up the group.

if I get time in the morning (and I remember) I`ll try it and let you know :)

"no, alu foil is actually surprisingly Pure, to at least 2 decimal places back! yeah I know, I was quite astonished to find this out too :)"

Sure about that? Decimal places of what?

http://www.enotes.com/how-products-encyclopedia/aluminum-foil

http://www.key-to-metals.com/Article119.htm

Also, in my experience it often leaves stuff behind when you dissolve it in alkali.

It's possible that the blackening refered too in the first post is bits of other alloy elements trapped in a (mainly KI) matrix.

Anyway the

2Cu++ + 4I- --> 2 CuI +I2

reaction is a classic for measuring Cu++ in solution.

The problem is that you lose half the I as CuI. Peroxide and acid seems to be the method of choice for the amateur scientist but there are lots of possibilities.

Is that scary, or what?

That is kinda scary!

But, you have to remember that your very own stomach contains HCl, which is much stronger than the H2CO3 in soft drinks.

I assume that aluminum corroded by soft drinks is aluminum carbonate?

there`s also Citric and Phosphoric acid in quite a few of these drinks, the later is a very strong acid, not as strong as sulphuric but stronger than Nitric!

and Thankfully Non-Toxic :)

How is Phosphoric acid stronger than nitric acid? Phosphoric acid is clearly classified as a weak acid, and nitric as strong.

• 10 years later...