Why are people gay?

Soulja

Back in '70 a buddy and I bought a M36C army truck, put a new engine, trans, transfer case, differentials, winch, wheels and had it underwater equipped with engine snorkles. 6 wheel drive, scuba tanks, compressor, chain saws, and blast away stereo system. We got a good photographer, cameras, crew, and left through Mexico in '72 with maps of the jungles from the pentagon. We filmed out in the jungles down to Panama, Trained at Allbrook Air Force base as civilians. Then headed from Colombia out into the Amazon from the Colombian side through Venezuela. I got back in '75 a lot thinner with a lot of cool stories but that's it in a quick version. We wanted to go all the way to Argentina but ran into some shit and that's another story

Just aman

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

hmmmm...... i think homosexuality is something that is done in fear of rejection from girls or in the case of girls the oposite.

like some girls that i know are in the begining heterosexual then they turned bi because they dont like the way men are always thinking with there head not with there head. this could just be a certain cause of it im sure there are a few differnt causes as previouosly talked about.

And that also vexes me why ppl wouldnt want to reproduce. In our intire being we want to achieve imortality in a sence. wheather it be by writting a book achieving something for science and the more traditional way having kids. i bet that ppl who are gay have some other way of achieving there imortality.

so ya im tired im going to sleep now have this monster human anatomy test in the morning :zzz:

If someone is afraid of being rejected by a member of the opposite sex, I really can't see them leaping into bed with the first homosexual they come across. It sounds like you're saying that being gay is an easy way out for people who can't get up the nerve to ask out a girl. If this is so I can only conclude you have absolutely no clue about gay culture.

Someone who's insecure about themselves and intimidated by other people is hardly going to suddenly and spontaeneously "go gay" to make things easier. It's not something you change at your own convenience, and it certainly isn't going to solve any problems, believe me.

People don't just "turn bi", they gradually overcome their irrational fear of being "found out".

• 2 weeks later...

So is there a suggestion that a genetic basis for homosexuality can be selected for? If so, how?

I can understand that a genetic basis for homosexuality can be maintained by having other effects that counteract the energy spent on homosexual lovin' but just not that being gay is an advantage. But it's not even close to selectively neutral, so it's not like you can drift over to the Isle of Lesbos.

And that also vexes me why ppl wouldnt want to reproduce.

I guess I might be different to others but I don't spend much time thinking wistfully of having some children, or maintaining my genes within our gene pool. I do spend a fair amount of time thinking lustfully of having sex though. Our genes requirement to be reproduced isn't directly translated into a desire to reproduce them. It is more abstract and complicated, maybe this makes it easier for environmental factors to modify our sexuality, acting on the abstract psychological cues that we have to turn us on

Originally posted by Skye

So is there a suggestion that a genetic basis for homosexuality can be selected for? If so, how?

I can understand that a genetic basis for homosexuality can be maintained by having other effects that counteract the energy spent on homosexual lovin' but just not that being gay is an advantage. But it's not even close to selectively neutral, so it's not like you can drift over to the Isle of Lesbos.

Actually, nothing is selected for. Things are always selected out!

Anyway, many things stay in the genome because they are recessive. They are carried by some people, and when they reproduce they give an individual with the phenotype.

Just like many of the purely genetic diseases that cause mental retardation or other types of disorders that prevent them from being able to reproduce.

Originally posted by fafalone

Does it offend you as a homosexual?

How mature, and you are in college studying what Neuroscience ?, You're a reversed version of einstein, Starting out smart and ending up retarded.

But i know something that you don't, You'l see it in my next post.

Can't take everything seriously, or you'll burn out. Just because I'm dead serious about my studies doesn't mean I can't kick back and berate psychotic cult members whose life is based in wildy inaccurate writings on 5000 year old rocks.

Actually, nothing is selected for. Things are always selected out!

Ok I agree but I mean something like 'genes that are selected against less than their competitiors' because they have the effect of predisposing the person to homosexuality. Either way of writing it I don't think you agree.

On the recessive gay gene: If say 10% of people (1 in 10) are homosexual than that is alot higher than the incidence of any recessive diseases which I think are at the most 1 in 1000. There would be a limit for the frequency of a lethal recessive gene, beyond which they would combine more often and reduce there numbers back down to the limit.

The 10% figure seems pretty high though, maybe it includes reproductive bisexuals. Are there any advantages in being bi over hetero?

I wonder if it's something like imprinting? You know, like what baby ducks do, at the right age it only takes one look. Maybe at the right time for some people, during their youth, that part of the brain can be easily molded to one perclevity or the other; an off-hand remark, a single vivid image, etc. For most of us, our sexuality is too strongly dictated by our gender to be swayed by such minor events.