two questions, liquad co2 and sodium nitrate

brianmay27

Ok i have two questions. The main one is so i want to make sodium acetate, i know i need viniger and baking soda and boil it off. I know have it in a vacume helps but does any one how to speed it up else wise? i can have it in a vacume, but if there is a faster way then that can you tell me.

Also on another note, my chem teacher was talking about geting dry ice to liquad co2. He will not tell me but i know it has to do with presure and you need 3atm to get it. Is there a easer way? some why i dont need to spend 100$ on a clear presure chamber, some way i can do it on the cheep?

thanks so much

edit sorry about the spelling :D cant spell

I think you mean sodium acetate, and no theres no faster way to remove solvents than with heating them in a vaccum (just depends how good the vaccum is).

You do need higher atmospheres to get liquid CO2 and no theres no cheap way to do it.

Also what the hell do you want it for?

a Fridge compressor should be More than enough for most common glassware (in some cases Too much!).

it`s the reinforced pipework and glass you have to think about really.

and you don`t really need ANY of it just to make sodium acetate!

yeah figured that out, it went a lot quicker then i thought.

on the same note, does anyone know the exact ratio of backing soda and viniger? i get crystals, but when added to water and boiled and cooled, they do not go to their "unstable" form.

NaHCO3 + CH3COOH --> CH3COONa + H2O + CO2

1 mole of baking soda will react with one mole of acetic acid. Look on your vinegar bottle, as it should have something that says "% acid" or something like that. You would need to calculate how much vinegar will give you one mole of acetic acid. One mole of acetic acid is 60 grams, and one mole of NaHCO3 is 84 grams. :)