The common cold

Firescape

The common cold isn't just one virus... it consists of many different strains that's constantly evolving.

Medicine is a slowly evolving field because, unlike most other sciences, it's constantly evolving, changing. There are so many variable, different types of disease, interactions, populations dynamics...

It's probably a more complex field than you perhaps realize.

• 2 weeks later...
We can put man on the moon but we can't treat the common cold. Why? And why is the medicine field the slowest progressing field in science apart from any socio-politics?

Why do you think medicine is the slowest field? In the past, say 30 years, we've seen MRIs, CAT scans, PET scans, Gamma knives, brain plasticity, organ transplants, joint replacements, blood pressure drugs, cancer treatments, etc become commonplace. Hospital beds have almost disappeared as most surgery has become relatively straightforward. The part of medicine that has lagged is delivery and cost.

We actually know how to largely prevent the common cold (handwashing, healthy humidity, staying home when ill, adequate rest, good diet, not sneezing or coughing on others) but don't.

...and we can actually treat the common cold very effectively. We can reduce the fever and inflammation. We can aleviate the headache and sore throat and so-on. We can even reduce the chances of full infection if we catch it early enough. We just can't cure it.

Putting a man on the moon would be a lot harder if the moon changed position as randomly and frequently as the cold virus mutates.

it has been well known for decades that cough syrups are uselesss...

pholcoedeine (+ other coedine based syrups) are the only ones that has any effect as a cough suppressant - everything else is a con...

and i'm prety sure taking sugar cough sweets + sugary cough syrups makes things worse... as bacteria thrive on glucose... so i don't really know why they exsit in pharmacies...

Actually I was just having too much fun and I disagree that alcohol helps keep one cold-free. The only times I've had any respiratory infection in maybe twenty years are when I drank too much and pulled down my fluid and immune system. I was talking about getting to sleep when you have a bad cough.

Out of curiosity I looked up the common cold.

The annual cumulative societal cost of the common cold in the United States is billions of dollars.

No vaccines are available: the primary method to prevent infection is hand-washing to minimize person-to-person transmission of the virus.

The common cold can lead to opportunistic coinfections or superinfections such as acute bronchitis' date=' bronchiolitis, croup, pneumonia, sinusitis, otitis media, or strep throat.[/quote']

Especially if you are too fup duck. Further epidemiology, these days I do not tune many pianos since I choose rebuilding jobs as they appear. Thus I have not regularly been in the homes of people with children in school (or not, around here with religious home-schooling strong) as I once was. Thus it is a rare thing that I get a cold?

• 3 weeks later...
The common cold isn't just one virus... it consists of many different strains that's constantly evolving.

Medicine is a slowly evolving field because, unlike most other sciences, it's constantly evolving, changing. There are so many variable, different types of disease, interactions, populations dynamics...

It's probably a more complex field than you perhaps realize.

Yeah and I think I've had every virus already. Now I just have some time to wait until a new one comes:mad: HEHE!

I think that the medical field is evolving quite quickly for all the complications it has! I think its a great accomplishment that we can cure many diseases that we couldn't even 50 years ago. We may be moving slower than other sciences, but we sure aren't moving slow by any means, and we are doing a great job with what we can.