I dare you to visualize a fourth dimension!

berkan

There are 10 proven dimensions mathematically. Can anyone visualize a fourth dimension? Is the reason why we can't visualize a fourth dimension that we live in a three dimensional world? How different do animals see the world? (Axis-wise x,y,z).

There's a saying "a triangle would have a god with three sides" we visualize a god in 3d, how can every dimension have a god?!

What exactly do you mean by sense? Can you (touch, hear, taste, smell, or VISUALIZE (see)) a fourth dimension? You can't, no one can. Let me put it this way: If I asked you to draw a 3 dimensional shape you would draw a sphere, cube... etc. Now let's see you draw a four dimensional shape.

We don't sense 4 dimensions. We experiance its effects (time). And the effects of all the other dimensions even though we can't explain them yet.

fafalone said in post # :

well the 4th dimension is time... so we can indeed sense 4 dimensions.

That's not what he meant, and you know it.

We can see 4 dimensional objects, by creating perspective in 3D, similar to viewing pseudo3d objects in 2d.

For instance, the university of warwick has a 3d imaging system that you can view a hypercube (for instance) in. I've seen one.

Of course, some peoples' brains can't visualise 4D objects, or at least that's the theory.

MrL_JaKiri said in post # :

We can see 4 dimensional objects, by creating perspective in 3D, similar to viewing pseudo3d objects in 2d.

For instance, the university of warwick has a 3d imaging system that you can view a hypercube (for instance) in. I've seen one.

Wait a min., let me see if i'm on the same page with you.

The hypercube image is displayed in 3D space in reality?

:confused:

Hmm........This dimension stuff is always kinda confusing.

Here is one question - someone once told me that the fourth dimension is arbitrary (not necessarily time). I mean u can pick anything u want ( don't have a clue what that anything could be ) and assign it 4th dimension. Is it true?

MrL:

"For instance, the university of warwick has a 3d imaging system that you can view a hypercube (for instance) in. I've seen one.

Of course, some peoples' brains can't visualise 4D objects, or at least that's the theory."

I do not have the glasses and can not see it, but had seen someone else post this elsewhere:

http://dogfeathers.com/java/hyprcube.html

MrL_JaKiri said in post # :

You know 3D specs? That kind of thing.

Wow, that's funky.

Can the same program do vectors, planes, several variable functions, etc. in 3space?