Image of Time

Fred56

Who has a good explanation for why we prefer watches and clocks that display the passage or progress of Time, as hands moving around a circular face -like a compass?

Rather than numbers, or any other possible (especially nowadays) ways we can represent it (different colour changes, or sounds -which are only associated nowadays -we see the pointers on a face as the 'master' time)? What's so reassuring or compelling about hands, pointing at the current time of day? Even braille watches are like this, I believe, and most people who have a time display on their pc screen set it to a standard clock with a face.

So how many watches have any of you seen for sale that are digital, not Swiss movement (as seems to be the popular choice)?

(I haven't changed my Gentoo distro's desktop clock yet from number display mode, 'shudder'):P

Well, it's kind of hard to buy a watch that isn't a standard-looking wind-up job, but you don't wind it any more (there's this little battery thingy inside).

But did u know that the clock face with hands was the first major medieval institution of standard time? The village clock tower...