Launch angle?

Gareth56

The best way to do most mechanics problems at this level is to sketch a diagram, (ideally without the huge amount of dead space I have on mine) eg:

image1xa3.jpg

you know that acceleration in the, horizontal, x direction, x'' is zero. Acceleration in the verticle, y, direction, y'' is -g.

You can work out the initial velocities from basic trigonometry, the initial positions are at 0 and 0, and you now have all the information you need to plug into the kinematics equations to get equations for how the horizontal and vertical distances, x and y, and velocities, x' and y', change with respect to time.

When the speed of the projectile is 3/4 its original, the squareroot of x'2 + y'2 will be equal to 3v/4 (on my diagram). You can find out how much half the height is using the kinematics equations, equate them and you get an equation in phi, which gives you the answer.

Thanks for the pointers JaKiri.

I've written down all the equations that should be relavent ie

Ux=U*Cos alpha

Uy=U*Sin alpha

then y = Uyt -1/2gt^2

x = Ux * t

Vy = Uy -gt

Vx = Ux

That's as far as I get but it doesn't really matter it was just a querry regarding a question I came across in Tipler regarding projectile motion. After the above I think it's all algebra or whatever. In case certain people are wondering it is not any kind of assignment question, it's just that I have an interest in physics...I'm well past college days :)

• 2 weeks later...

The easiest way to do it is to think about energy.

At launch the potential energy V=0, while the kinetic energy is [math]K = \frac{1}{2}mv^2=\frac{1}{2}m(v_x^2+v_y^2)[/math] (where [math]v_{x,y}[/math] are the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity.)

At maximum height h, V=mgh and [math]K=\frac{1}{2}mv_x^2[/math]

At half maximum height V=mgh/2 and [math]K=\frac{1}{2}m\left(\frac{3}{4}v\right)^2=\frac{9}{32}mv^2[/math]

Conservation of energy tells us the sum of the two is constant, so

[math]\frac{1}{2}m(v_x^2+v_y^2) = mgh + \frac{1}{2}mv_x^2 = \frac{1}{2}mgh + \frac{9}{32}m(v_x^2+v_y^{2})[/math]

This has 2 equalities. Use the first to determine h:

[math]mgh=\frac{1}{2}mv_y^2[/math]

Stick this in the second:

[math]\frac{1}{2}v_y^2 + \frac{1}{2}v_x^2 = \frac{1}{4}v_y^2 + \frac{9}{32}(v_x^2+v_y^{2}) \Rightarrow \frac{7}{32}v_x^2 = \frac{1}{32}v_y^{2}\Rightarrow \frac{v_y}{v_x} = \sqrt{7}[/math] and the angle is [math] \tan^{-1} \sqrt{7}[/math]

Yes! At any point "speed" means

[magnitude of]

total velocity which is the vector sum of the two components. Horizontal velocity is assumed to not change, and vertical velocity is related through its square to energy and height.

Just to be clear ;)