Phenylpropanolamine(PPA)

carol

I don't know if this has already been posted.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/ppa/

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is taking steps to remove phenylpropanolamine (PPA) from all drug products and has requested that all drug companies discontinue marketing products containing PPA. In addition, FDA has issued a public health advisory concerning phenylpropanolamine. This drug is an ingredient that was used in many over-the-counter (OTC) and prescription cough and cold medications as a decongestant and in OTC weight loss products.

In response to the request made by FDA in November 2000, many companies have voluntarily reformulated and are continuing to reformulate their products to exclude PPA while FDA proceeds with the regulatory process necessary to remove PPA from the market.

Should I be alarmed of this? I've been taking such since I can't remember everytime I get a cold. I haven't noticed any action from our Bureau of Food and Drugs. Most of the drugs for colds contain PPA; what are some drugs for colds that don't have PPA?

It just seems to be another case from the one size fits all fallacy really. A quick check on the net implicates such with a factor in strokes, in that it could be a cause, though that was just a quick check. It would be weird to do a study on norms of reaction over today’s commercial chemistry industry.

If you're concerned, then the drug's efficacy will be reduced by that alone (think placebo effect, but negative). However, if there is true evidence of danger, then the cost/benefit analysis of continued dosing better be heavily biased in the "benefit" category for you to EVEN CONSIDER further ingestion of the product. There's no need to continue taking something which is dangerous if the benefits don't outweigh the costs.

I thought you have already encountered this news. Anyway, I also have doubts but considering the risk, I might as well opt for another med? Do you know anything that could take the place of phenylpropanolamine?

"Should I be alarmed of this? "

Well the study they report shows an increased likelyhood of having a stroke if you have taken PPA in the last 3 days. Beyond that time, presumably, the effect was too small to measure. Also while the odds ratio got as high as 15 to 1 in some cases you have to remember that making something very rare 15 times commoner still leaves it rare.

Since there are other drugs with comparable effects and less risk it makes sense to switch to them.

When I get a cold, I drink lots of water, get extra rest, and take a shot of Irish Whiskey for good measure. I'm not sure that's what you're after, but it works for me everytime.

yes, it works to help me get better. but manufactured drugs really help in giving immediate relief. anyway, i haven't caught a cold recently.

btw, i haven't heard any reported case of anyone getting a stroke from taking PPA