Group 17

thedarkshade

Hi guys!

Reactivity and ionization energy are in a way the opposite from each other. I mean, with the increase of the ionization energy, reactivity drops. That's why inert gases have very very low reactivity, because of their high ionization energy.

But when learning at school for Group 17 elements there is a paragraph that states: "Reactivity in this group decreases starting from F to I."

Ionization energy decreases when going down groups, and normally reactivity should increase. But according to that previous quote reactivity decreases with the decrease in ionization energy:eek: :eek: :eek: .

Now how right is that?

The question to ask is whether the elements, when bonding, donate or receive electrons. The earlier halogens require more energy to lose an electron, but also give out more than the later halogens when they receive one - which is how they bond.

Group SEVENTEEN?

No, the Halogens are Group Seven.

and what you have to remember is that the Further you go Down a group the further the outer Electrons are from the Nucleus, so it`s a little easier n=1 to n=2 ionisations.

well that Dayah guy is a Moron for a start, La and Ac are NOT F Block elements!

they are D block, 4F starts with Ce and 5F with Th.

I'm not sure where he quotes them as being F block (although the links to wikipedia do), he writes the lanthanides and actinides underneath the rest of the table which is quite common so i guess it's a little unfair to call him a moron. Perhaps Peter Atkins is also a moron for following the same convention?