Are We Wrong To Hate Religions?

That is also not a good definition. Science is also a belief system; is science a religion?

Science is NOT a belief system. It's a method. It's an approach. Come on.

What would any of you say, do you s'pose, to God if you met him? Would you recognise who (or what) was in front of you?

If god is as described, then god is everything. To suppose that it is some humanoid form, speaking english and caring who I fu(k is to extremely limit the greatness that seems so tantamount to the doG concept itself.

If I believed in god, it would be everything at all times. If I allowed someone else to dictate my belief to me, and what god should be according to them, I would be in err. However, I don't believe in God, so problem solved.

What was that Dawkins quote? Most of us don't believe in over 99% of the world's gods, atheists just go one god farther.

I hate what religions have become.

I hate how people ignore evidence when it disagrees with their faith.

I hate that dogma is so rigid that it stands as an obstacle to progress.

I hate that we are still having these arguments when we are capable of so much more.

I also love.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Science is also a belief system; is science a religion?

Science is NOT a belief system. It's a method. It's an approach. Come on.

Science IS a 'set of beliefs' though. Or are papers and theses not ideas based on other ideas (and faith that measurement of the universe -i.e. the GOD particle' date=' is possible)?

A definition of a 'belief system' is lacking here, I feel.

Is it [b']any [/b]system (self sustaining or maintaining) of theories and conjecture, or is it more narrowly defined, say as delusional thinking, or irrational 'logic'?

So..... why is this thread even in this section in the first place, shouldn't it go in the speculations and pseudoscience section (if not the trash section)? Or at the very least in the General Discussion section...

I have yet to see how any of this is related to the topic of psychology.

Repeating yourself or others does not add validity to your statement.

Yes it does. Of course it does. Of course it does.

Repeating yourself or others does add validity to your statement. Repeating yourself or others does add validity to your statement.

Does that 'add' any difference to the validity of a contention or the state of any of the 'statements'? (never mind...)

Just how do you figure that Science is "not a set of beliefs".

Nope, no beliefs there in that Science thing --they don't believe anything at all; all science is beliefless... (possibly also hairless).

A definition of a 'belief system' is lacking here' date=' I feel.

Is it any system (self sustaining or maintaining) of theories and conjecture, or is it more narrowly defined, say as delusional thinking, or irrational 'logic'?[/quote']

I like the former. The partition should be between substantiated belief systems and unsubstantiated ones.

Just how do you figure that Science is "not a set of beliefs".

Really? Shall we go down that tangent? Open another thread and I'll gladly contribute to the answer.

This thread is something else, and all of us are continually proving yourdadapogos' point made way back on page 1.

Why is religion still so prominent? I really don't understand. It must have something to do with intelligence and reproduction and recent tendencies showing that the intelligent have fewer offspring. :confused:

That is also not a good definition. Science is also a belief system; is science a religion?

Perhaps you will consider one of these a better definition. I'll begin with the origin of the term::

religion

c.1200' date=' "state of life bound by monastic vows," also "conduct indicating a belief in a divine power," from Anglo-Fr. religiun (11c.), from O.Fr. religion "religious community," from L. religionem (nom. religio) "respect for what is sacred, reverence for the gods," in L.L. "monastic life" (5c.); according to Cicero, derived from relegare "go through again, read again," from re- "again" + legere "read" (see lecture). However, popular etymology among the later ancients (and many modern writers) connects it with religare "to bind fast" (see rely), via notion of "place an obligation on," or "bond between humans and gods." Another possible origin is religiens "careful," opposite of negligens. Meaning "particular system of faith" is recorded from c.1300.

[/quote']

religion • noun

1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power' date=' especially a personal God or gods.
    [*'] a particular system of faith and worship.
  2. a pursuit or interest followed with devotion.

Main Entry:re·li·gion

Pronunciation: \ri-ˈli-jən\

Function:noun

Etymology:

Middle English religioun' date=' from Anglo-French religiun, Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back — more at rely

Date: 13th century

1. the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion>
      1. the service and worship of God or the supernatural
      2. commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

[*] a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

[*] archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness

[*] a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Conversely:

science • noun

1. the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.
      2. a systematically organized body of knowledge on any subject.

Main Entry:sci·ence

Pronunciation: \ˈsī-ən(t)s\

Function: noun

Etymology:

Middle English' date=' from Anglo-French, from Latin scientia, from scient-, sciens having knowledge, from present participle of scire to know; perhaps akin to Sanskrit chyati he cuts off, Latin scindere to split — more at shed

Date: 14th century

1. the state of knowing : knowledge as distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding

IMO the terms religion and science are not synonymous in any of their definitions thus science is not a religion. It does appear that in some cases though that religion is a science. :)

2. a department of systematized knowledge as an object of study <the science of theology>
    3. something (as a sport or technique) that may be studied or learned like systematized knowledge <have it down to a science>

[*]

1. knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method
  2. such knowledge or such a system of knowledge concerned with the physical world and its phenomena : NATURAL SCIENCE

[*] a system or method reconciling practical ends with scientific laws <cooking is both a science and an art>

[*] capitalized : CHRISTIAN SCIENCE

This validates woelen's sentiments.

And as I said, why should it matter to his personal faith and belief what a total stranger thinks? Why is his belief and faith so insecure that a comment from an online entitity who he does not even know has any impact whatsoever?

Seriously...

Why is religion supposed to be so untouchable? Grow up. If your position is so valid, then support it. Otherwise, get the hell out of my way. I can support my arguments. Why are religious people held to a different standard?

Why is religion still so prominent? I really don't understand. It must have something to do with intelligence and reproduction and recent tendencies showing that the intelligent have fewer offspring.

You're suggesting a link between inferior intelligence and religious belief, so either you have one hell of a supporting argument or that's prejudiced opinion - either way an offensive statement. Didn't the attempt at that with race teach you something?

And as I said, why should it matter to his personal faith and belief what a total stranger thinks? Why is his belief and faith so insecure that a comment from an online entitity who he does not even know has any impact whatsoever?

I don't know that it does and it's irrelevent to my objection to your statement to begin with. My problem was the inherent and apparently transparent, prejudice in your statement about religion and inferior intelligence.

Why is religion supposed to be so untouchable? Grow up. If your position is so valid, then support it. Otherwise, get the hell out of my way. I can support my arguments. Why are religious people held to a different standard?

I totally agree. So support your argument about intelligence and religion.

Why is religion still so prominent? I really don't understand. It must have something to do with intelligence and reproduction and recent tendencies showing that the intelligent have fewer offspring. :confused:
This is exactly why we will not be having any more religious discussions here at SFN. Supposedly intelligent people who can't bother to run a shitcheck on their mouths.

Thread closed.