Gr. 7 Chemistry - Quick Question

CrazCo

You all probably are experts in this department and will think my question is moronic, but with the formula AsI3 would it be written "Arsenic Triiodide" or "Arsenic Iodide (III)"

Basically is it a covalent or ionic compound

or neither? LoL...

Uppin

Please :D:D

roman numerals is used to show the oxidation of the metal ion(big hint there :P)

and used in that formula the proper nam would be Arsenic (III) triiodide.

also, you question isn't moronic, its actually quite a good one compared to some of the ones we get i.e 'howz canz i makz0rs da bombs!!!??!!one'

and in response to loragol, are you denying the existance of ammonium nitrate? not a metal in that.

This test was in french and i put Iodure d'Arsenic (III) translating to Arsenic (III) Iodide and my teacher marked me incorrect saying it was to be arsenic triiodide or in french triidoure d'arsenic..

dont really know the proper english term but you catch my drift?

So is there any defence i could prepare to back of my answer so i can get the points i lost?

not really, the oxidation numbers are generally only used for metal complexes and even then you need to keep the prefixes(the tri- part in this case)

so triidoure d'arsenic (III) could have been acceptable(or at the very least arguable). but without the 'tri-' it isn't.

• 3 weeks later...

Check out the difference in electronegativity between the As and I. This should give you a good idea, quickly as to the nature of your bond. Given the distance between them on the Periodic table, your probably screwed.

Cheers,

O3