A small Pagefile question.

Jennifer

I apologize for not putting this in the help thread, wasn't sure if it should go there or not.

Anyhow, I have read that if you have two hardrives, it will greatly increase system performance to disable Pagefile on one and make the Pagefile on the other larger. Is this true?

For example:

I have one 80G. (Master/boot drive)

and a 20G for random stuff.

(I have 1G RAM but is shared with onboard Video)

Just now I set my Master/Boot drive to no pagefile and increased the 20G harddrives PF to 2G min 4G max.

Is this more efficient and/or safe?

ideally you would want a partition devoted to paging(like linux's swap partition) but i'm not sure how or even if you can set this up on windows.

big page files get fragmented and big fragmented page files are hopeless. and anyway, with 1G of RAM your computer should never touch the swap file.

ideally you would want a partition devoted to paging(like linux's swap partition) but i'm not sure how or even if you can set this up on windows.

big page files get fragmented and big fragmented page files are hopeless. and anyway, with 1G of RAM your computer should never touch the swap file.

Part of my 80G HD is a 3G seperate partition, you think it would be better to make that a Pagefile?

My computer seems to dip into it a lot, I like to run a lot of things at once (IE, Media Player, Games, Vent, IMs, etc)

*Plays World of Warcraft*>>>>>>>>>>>

*Is a nerd*>>>>>>>>>>>>

it depends what you mean by 'random stuff'. if it's random stuff that isn't accessed that often, then your best bet is to do something along the lines of this:

defrag the random stuff drive so theres a 1G continuous block free

turn off pagefiling

reboot (deletes pagefile)

set a 1G min/1G max pagefile on the 'random stuff' drive

reboot (so that the pagefile is made)

that way, you'll have one nonfragmented pagefile on the hdd that is accessed least often. setting both the min/max to 1G ensures that it won't grow in size, so you don't need to put it in it's own partition (assuming avoiding fragmentation is the only reason for putting it in it's own partition? i'm not sure wether FAT and NTFS are both equals as far as pagefiling goes).

having said all that, i'm not sure how windows handles two pagefiles? i.e., wether it chooses the one on the disk that is least used, or swaps onto one hdd whilst accessing the other?