"Recent papers" discussion idea

Martin

If you want to do that, the most interesting paper in Friday's list is

arXiv:0711.2473, Parton Distributions for LO Generators, A. Sherstnev, R.S. Thorne

I think it would be great if people would throw into a common pot what new papers they find most interesting. This thread could work that way if D H wants. It already has kind of a cute title for such a thread and it is already started. So I would think serendipitous if DH says OK and we just keep going!

How about that DH? Your call, either way is fine.

It's D H's thread. Maybe he would be happy if the thread evolved into a "interesting recent postings on arxiv" thread. If D H likes this, I think it would be great. If he doesn't like it and wants the thread to stay focused on Garrett Lisi's paper, that's fine too. We can start a recent-finds-on-arxiv thread some other time.

I think a recent-finds-on-arxiv thread is a great one. My only objection to making this thread the "recent-finds-on-arxiv thread" is the title of the thread itself. I can no longer change the title. If a moderator can change the title, go for it. Approval granted.

OTOH, if no one can change the thread title (or if the powers-that-be don't like the idea), I think it would better serve the forum to keep this thread to the original topic of Lisi's paper.

OTOH, if no one can change the thread title (or if the powers-that-be don't like the idea), I think it would better serve the forum to keep this thread to the original topic of Lisi's paper.

I don't qualify as "powers-that-be" but I like the idea of starting a new thread for recent finds, and keeping this thread for discussing the Garrett Lisi paper, titled as it is.

I hope that's what we do.

I've copied these posts over from the TEO thread, in case there were people who weren't following that.

I think it's a great idea; each paper should probably be in its own thread in the appropriate forum section. I would add this caveat: don't just link to a paper; I think there should be a summary that's boiled down so that someone not in that subfield can get a grip on the topic. Basically do the job (possibly better, though perhaps briefer) that the science reporter does when they present some new finding that's coming out in Science/Nature and it gets summarized for the masses. (Many of us cringe at those summaries, but physics people should be able to summarize physics articles without getting it wrong)