Glow Sticks and H2O2

dubois928

I wanted to get a higher concentration of hydrogen peroxide, so I decided to get it from glow sticks. The H2O2 is supposed to be in the glass vial and the phenyl w/ the dye is supposed to be surrounding it, but it seems that in the case of my glow stick, it's the other way around. Ether that, or the dye is mixed with the H2O2. I have not broken open the glass vial yet. The solution that was surrounding it is clear with an odor like rubbing alcohol. Any ideas on which is which? I'd hate to have the H2O2 have a dye mixed with it.

Thanks,

Kenneth Anderson

I also just noticed that the clear liquid I removed is more viscous, I have it in a prescription medication bottle and if I tip it the liquid sticks to the sides and falls back down somewhat slowly. I still have not broken open the glass vial yet. Anyone have any idea which is which?

Thanks,

Ken

what makes you think it is the wrong way around, from what you have descried "a viscous liquid" this is definitely NOT H2O2 as this is not that viscous only a little more that H20 it also has no odor as oppose to Phenyl group which is aromatic. crack open the glass and test for H2O2 by adding some manganese dioxide, else some potato, (you may laugh but it's a brilliant cat) if u get "bubbling" then you have H2O2. hope this helps

The dye should be quite inert compared to the peroxide. But wouldn't it be much easier and perhaps cheaper as well, to simply buy hydrogen peroxide?

As grifter said, to check whether you have hydrogen peroxide you can put some raw potato pieces in it (hydrogen peroxide is highly toxic so aerobes have enzymes to break it down, which will produce oxygen bubbles). Hydrogen peroxide itself looks much like water; it should not have an odor or be viscous.

Thanks everyone! You've all been a great help.

Kenneth Anderson

Well I just tried testing on the potato and remarkably the liquid on the outside, which is supposed to be the phenyl (see first post), turned out to be the H202. It reacted with the potato and created bubbles.

Kenneth Anderson

• 1 year later...
I wanted to get a higher concentration of hydrogen peroxide, so I decided to get it from glow sticks. The H2O2 is supposed to be in the glass vial and the phenyl w/ the dye is supposed to be surrounding it, but it seems that in the case of my glow stick, it's the other way around. Ether that, or the dye is mixed with the H2O2. I have not broken open the glass vial yet. The solution that was surrounding it is clear with an odor like rubbing alcohol. Any ideas on which is which? I'd hate to have the H2O2 have a dye mixed with it.

Thanks,

Kenneth Anderson

I would think in your case the dye is mixed with the H2O2. Did some search online and found that typical glow sticks have the hydrogen peroxide solution inside the glass vial and the solution of phenyl oxalate ester and a fluorescent dye outside the glass vial but inside the glow sticks tube. It's when the inside glass vial breaks and H2O2 mixes with phenyl oxalate ester that cause the glow sticks to glow. You can find more info on this SpamRemoved.com

Edited by YT2095
link removed

I reject Science_nerd's spam and substitute my *own*

hehehe.

but back on topic. The "rubbing alcohol" smell of the clear liquid in a glowstick is T-butanol. It's added to the peroxide to help stabilize and dissolve it. So be careful working with your newfound source of concentrated peroxide, if you use it as-is then be aware the t-butanol might affect your experiments. In addition to the t-butanol the clear fluid in a glowstick usually contains a pthalate ester, usually di(ethylhexyl)phthalate. This is added to dilute the peroxide down to the strength they want.