(NSS) Nano Sheild Spray

berkan

Hi, everyone... this is my first Thread, I'm 16 years old and have an intrest in science.

Anyhow, I'll get to my subject:

Nanotechnology has advanced throughout these years, yet it is still a new technology that didn't even start to shed its light to our world. I have this idea of a spray that shoots out nano-bots which attach to each other forming a blob in the air. These bots would be light enough to stay aloft, or would have built-in engines that keep them flying. they would react with the air (O2, CO2, N,...) creating a sheild preventing objects from entering the perimiter of the blob. I know this may sound like nonsense, but it may have other uses such as cleaning poluted air and water...

please reply stating whether this is possible, if so please explain how it may be acheived.

Thanx

The problem with ANY KIND of shield is that it needs to be designed to make some things enter and some don't. Unless, of course, you want NOTHING to pass through it, in which case you will need zillions of zillions (don't know how to say that number, sorry!! :) of nanobots attatched together.

I think that in order for that to work you need them to be small enough to "float" in your substance (air, if you wish) - but then they need to be CLOSE enough to one another - maybe through magnetic fields.

This case would require many many many (yes, I gave up the idea of trying to name a number! think of a really giant one) particles. Or Nanobots.

I think it would be easier if you would use the nanobots as the GRID, and the actual field built from magnetic or electromagnetic fields...

that's my nano cents.

~moo

Thanks for your replies guys! The idea about the magnetic or electro magnetic field is quite interesting, and combined with a bigger nano-bot makes more sense. But I have another question:

how could we supply power to these nanobots, or for any nano machine for that matter? Aren't they too small to carry a battery pack of some kind? I know they would require less energy (power) to work but still conventional batteries are huge plus they are after all a flow of electrons right? how many electrons can you fit into a space so confined that you could count them!?

power could be sent to them remotely via RF, OR they could use basic chemistry and maybe extract elements from the air through which they could supply miniature batteries, such as Zinc/air or lithium/air batteries (go with Lithium, it`s lighter).

however, I feel that after it became a homogenous "blob" it would simply fall to the ground, unable to support itself aloft.

I wouldn`t buy shares in this idea as it stands :)

well you're talking about nanobots but I'm not sure you actually need those in this case.

If we're talking bout a shield that is ACTUALLY made of electromagnetic fields - then those "nanobots" elemtents are symply there to support it.

Instead of actually using nanobots you can use metalic particles. If you have some sort of machine CREATING the initial magnetic fields, then those metallic particles need to just transfer it from one to the other.

So I think that they

1) Won't need much of power to their 'inner actions' -- 'cause they won't need any

2) The problem would be CONTROLING their position. It seems that the biggest problem is actually making them stay at the same position "mid air" and float for a while.

~moo

mooeypoo said in post

If we're talking bout a shield that is ACTUALLY made of electromagnetic fields - then those "nanobots" elemtents are symply there to support it.

I don't think robots would be of any use if they were there to only support it (electromagnetic fields), how can an electromagnetic field be used as a shield its self? Isn't the electromagnetic field there to support the robots? (not visaversa)I was thinking that elements could be put together creating a nano-bot strong enough or put together in a certain way (geodesic dome shaped) to widthstand the force of impact created by a larger object distributing the force to neighbour bots via the electromagnetic field (is that even possible?).

• 3 months later...
Guest Forever_Doomed

Magnetic feilds would not work well, as you would eventually generate static shock or simply a magnetic feild too strong for the "circuitry" of these nanobots as more and more of them occupied a smaller space.

A number like 20 nanobots could operate in a dodecahedronal form, and if (as you say) they can alter elements in the air, they can simply fill the inside of their polyhedron with enough lighter than air elements to stay aloft. For power, you might have to wait until cold fusion is possible, or maybe even micro-hydrolysis.

Anyway... these 20 bots would form one "unit" which in all reality would still be as small as a grain of sand, probably even smaller, and carry out whatever function they were intended to perform, once jetissonned into the air. You could even sell them as aerosol spray! (or maybe not... robots in a can anyone?)

Good luck with... um... whatever it is that you are doing!