Artificial sunlight

umbrella

Dear all,

Is is possible to create an artificial sunlight? Even though not in our time. As we all know the sun is dying, and one day we all will be living in dark and cold planet. If somehow human can create an artificial sunlight, we might have some chances of surviving?

Please comment...

Is is possible to create an artificial sunlight? Even though not in our time. As we all know the sun is dying, and one day we all will be living in dark and cold planet. If somehow human can create an artificial sunlight, we might have some chances of surviving?

The sun will be here long after we are. We as humans will be long dead before the sun has used up all of it's energy. However, if you just want to speculate and pursue this impossible "what if" scenario, we could focus more effort into growing plants chemical energies like the ones we've found at the bottom of oceans near thermal ducts, and finding ways to eat them without their being toxic.

when the sun goes out there will be no planet Earth to worry about!

it goes Giant long before it goes Black.

I thought models showed that the earth would be blown farther away by the solar wind. The earth would survive, but would be toasted. Unless we moved it somehow. Or we could go live in space for a while until the sun cools again, then return to earth.

I`ve seen a few differing ones also, the least was that all the water would boil off the atmosphere all burned up and everything melts.

I dunno, it doesn`t sound too Promising really, and I think Sun-Like light bulbs would be pretty Low on my list of concerns :)

I`ve seen a few differing ones also, the least was that all the water would boil off the atmosphere all burned up and everything melts.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the earth would be permanantly damaged from bing so close to the sun when it goes red giant.

I dunno, it doesn`t sound too Promising really, and I think Sun-Like light bulbs would be pretty Low on my list of concerns :)

I disagree. Closed or partially closed artificial environments (of which artificial sunlight would be a part) would be very important if we decide to live underground (or underwater :cool: ). If we do go the way of the nuke, or get hit by a big meteor, they will be vital. They will also be useful if we want to colonize other planets. And if we learn how to do fusion, we will have the extra energy to do this on a massive scale.

Dear all,

Please comment...

Umbrella - Did you have any follow-up questions? As you can see, most here are not too concerned with the sun "going out," but was there something else about which you were curious that we could address? If so, please do share.

• 1 month later...

What i think this post is about is a prediction of how the mankind of the future may hypothetically deal with the inevitable deterioration of the sun. I think that one would most certainly have to consider the construction of an artificial light source similar to then energy output of the sun. However, my opinion, is that for the mankind of tomorrow, or perhaps n-million years, will have to develop, or may already have, a terraformed colony on the neighboring solar systems. I heard someone in an argument i had a while ago similar to this "We can just move to Mars". It was very unfortunate telling my friend that we share the same sun as Mars.:cool:

by the time the sun goes up whatever species we'll have evolved into will be drastically different to what we are now. it took us less time to go from a chemical soup to what we are now. that is assuming we survive. there'll probably even be different species of future humans if we spread out around the galaxy especially if we never develop a ftl method of travelling.