An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything

D H

Question: Norman, or anyone, do you know what the difference is between E8 and F8 groups? Or is it maybe just someone's typo that got "ghosted" by the unfamiliar? I've found 1 or 2 refs to "F8", but most refer to "E8"...?:confused:

there is this very sensible question "who should read this paper?"

and I guess the simplest answer would be anyone who wants to follow what is going on with Quantum Gravity and Unification and they should scan it to find parts they can understand' date=' and get an idea from other people as best they can

(because quite a lot requires extensive knowledge of Lie Groups and their representations, and the differential geometry of bundles and connections, so it isnt easy reading!)

the paper is in some sense "where it's at" right now and one should get from it at whatever depth one can.[/quote'] Thanks, Martin. I was feeling bummed out.

hello -

Fred - you may be referring to F2 - a subset of E8...you most likely found a typo. Lisi found the rules for colour/QED inside F2 - it's mesmerizing - see the Nov. issue of New Scientist for the story. It's sooooo simple, I still can't believe it.

Martin - the matrices he presents are, in fact, quantized, since they are normalized rotations and the extreme off-diagonals are all zeroes - only the Trace and the minor off-diags are left - gorgeous. This is the Clifford of rotations which we use in solid-state NMR. Same commutation rules apply, except that the rotational deconstructions are then manipulated (like |I> = Ix + Iy + Iz), since the whole spin, upon rotation, obviously does NOT commute, but the components do...so, for example, IxSy doesn't commute (standard commutation, right?), but IxSz of course, does. IzSz does, too, since L^2 is an observable - see Angular Momentum in Quantum Mechanics by A. R. Edmonds (ISBN 0691025894)

No singularities, no infinities - the (this) universe is a closed set. It's then likely that E(8) is, itself, part of a closed superset, with each E(n) representing a different set of rules...Read Munovitz for some practicals on rotations used in NMR and you'll see what I mean...