Kids getting high from human waste

DrDNA

Ug. One would think people should know better. But they would be wrong. This is probably more dangerous than most illegal drugs.

Is there a specific chemical responsible? I know it would have some methane and some CO2, but I doubt either of those are responsible. Probably some nitrate from the urine. Anyone know?

Interested parties may like to do their own searches on a substance called Indole. It appears to be a complex hallucinogen produceable from sewage by action of sunlight. Wiki has something.

Hm, you might just be right. Indole can be derived from shit and seems to be the base for Tryptamine, which is the base for many neurotransmitters and hallucinogens.

Too bad these kids had never heard of salvia before trying this jenkem shit. I actually fell sorry for not just the kids but the parents lol.

yeah. Salvia will achieve the same results, a short hallucinogenic experience - roughly 20-30 minutes - but this is probably cheaper.

edit: according to Wikipedia, its not as mainstream as some might believe it to be (based on the original article)

yeah. Salvia will achieve the same results, a short hallucinogenic experience - roughly 20-30 minutes - but this is probably cheaper.

I've been around people using salvia, tho I wouldn't do it myself. They said it only laster about 5 minutes or less. Maybe there are different types or something.

edit: according to Wikipedia, its not as mainstream as some might believe it to be (based on the original article)
Yeah I saw that. Apparently it's more of a joke than an actual mainstream drug. I also found this funny,
A 16-year-old boy describes his preference for jenkem over other inhalants "With glue, I just hear voices in my head. But with Jenkem, I see visions. I see my mother who is dead and I forget about the problems in my life."

I've been around people using salvia, tho I wouldn't do it myself. They said it only laster about 5 minutes or less. Maybe there are different types or something.
Yeah there are different strengths. 20x peaks for like 5 minutes and can last for 20 (aftereffects, not tripping). Anything less than 20 doesn't even make you hallucinate. It has other effects though besides its hallucinogenic properties. Lots of incense have slavia in them to pick up your mood.

I've never tried it but me and a friend are doing some 20x this weekend. It's really expensive though, Mag is right fermenting shit in the sun is a lot cheaper.

Oxygen deprivation will upset the brain and might be responsible for this "effect".

Skatole is interesting enough stuff but not an halucinogen. Since out guts produce it all the time we would always be "high".

Just because it is in your lower gut does not mean it will make its way into your bloodstream.

Fair point. On the other hand since it doesn't melt unless you heat it to 95C and doesn't boil much below 300 I don't think it's the active ingredient for sniffing anything. Also I simply don't see any references anywhere to it working as a drug. On the other hand, it's a food additive.

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/skatole/skatolec.htm

Goodness, I actually laughed reading the first article, who would have thought. I've never heard of Salvia either, and we're covering drugs in Biology at the moment, so I'm interested to know what it actually is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia

Here you go

=============================================

That is probably one of the most disgusting thing I've ever read about.

Unless somebody else has already pointed it out, Jenkem is so obviously an urban myth...or possibly a joke started by a bored journalist.

From the snopes article...

Jenkem “huffers” bury their entire face in the ghastly mess, gasping it all in.

If that's not satire, then I'm Levy Mwanawasa.

Unless somebody else has already pointed it out, Jenkem is so obviously an urban myth...or possibly a joke started by a bored journalist.

From the snopes article...

Jenkem “huffers” bury their entire face in the ghastly mess, gasping it all in.

If that's not satire, then I'm Levy Mwanawasa.

It's mostly an urban legend. I was under the impression that a couple people have actually tried it though -- once it was discovered people thought it was so strange stories started getting made up about it.