Darwin Award

foodchain

I think bush should get one. I really do, not only has he managed to basically do away with any global concern about U.S well being internationally, he got us into another Vietnam that is ruining any global stability and I would go as far to say is supporting terrorism really in the region.

I don’t understand if simply the magnitude of being the dumbest man on earth escapes such an award systems scope I just feel he should get one. I mean I don’t want him to feel alone after gore/ipcc took a Nobel after all.

What do you think?

He doesn't have to die. As Cap'n Refsmat pointed out, he just has to remove himself from the active gene pool. I wonder, though, what would happen if someone deposits semen or egg cells prior sterilization? Probably no award due to technicality.

He doesn't have to die. As Cap'n Refsmat pointed out, he just has to remove himself from the active gene pool. I wonder, though, what would happen if someone deposits semen or egg cells prior sterilization? Probably no award due to technicality.

Can people who have procreated win it?

It seems mortality is the primary determining factor, but I like the idea of something causing one to become sterile by some ignorant action. It seems to fit the context rather well.

http://www.darwinawards.com/rules/

The Darwin Awards commemorate individuals who protect our gene pool by making the ultimate sacrifice of their own lives: by eliminating themselves in an extraordinarily idiotic manner, thereby improving our species' chance of long-term survival. In other words, they are cautionary tales about people who kill themselves in really stupid ways, and in doing so, significantly improve the gene pool by eliminating themselves from the human race.

These individuals carry out disastrous plans that any average pre-teen knows are the result of a really bad idea. The single-minded purpose and self-sacrifice of the winners, and the spectacular means by which they snuff themselves, make them candidates for the honor of winning a Darwin Award. The terrorist who mails a letter bomb with insufficient postage deserves to win a Darwin Award when he blows himself up opening the returned package. As does the fisherman who throws a lit stick of dynamite for his faithful golden retriever to fetch and return to him. As do the surfers who celebrate a hurricane by throwing a beachfront party and getting washed out to sea.

Named in honor of Charles Darwin, the father of evolution, the Darwin Awards represent examples of evolution in action by showing what happens to people who are unable to cope with the basic dangers of the modern world. These ironic tales of fatal misadventure illustrate some of life's most important lessons.

Most of us know instinctively that the words "trust me" and "light this fuse" are a recipe for disaster. We assume that basic common sense eliminates the need for public service announcements such as, "Warning: Coffee is hot!" and "Superman cape does not enable wearer to fly." But the true stories you will read show that common sense is really not so common. No amount of overzealous caution would have helped the man who used household current to electrocute fish in a pond, then waded in to collect his catch without removing the wire. As you'll see, there are even people who need to be told not to peek inside a gas can using a cigarette lighter.

The Darwin Awards are macabre tales that make us laugh while instructing us in the laws of common sense. Consider the man who crawled under the roller coaster guardrail to retrieve his hat. When the next coaster came by, an unfortunate rider broke her leg on his skull. Ouch! From our point of view, the man who lost his head is a Darwin Award winner, and his story is just another episode in the saga of survival of the fittest.

The Darwin Awards can be considered a rusty chromosome award for those who douse the gene pool with chlorine.

"I wonder, though, what would happen if someone deposits semen .." I thought that was Clinton's party trick.

If a man wipes out his entire species does he qualify for a (posthumous) Darwin award?

I think Bush is more likely to get an igNobel prize; I think he might qualify for the peace, ecconomics or biology prizes.

He's already procreated, and so he's ineligible. The point is they have to prevent themselves from passing on their genes by killing or sterilizing themselves via some stupid act.

If a man wipes out his entire species does he qualify for a (posthumous) Darwin award?

No. The premise is that the winner has to have improved the gene pool by removing himself from it. Wiping out the gene pool entirely is not an improvement.

He's already procreated, and so he's ineligible. The point is they have to prevent themselves from passing on their genes by killing or sterilizing themselves via some stupid act.

No. The premise is that the winner has to have improved the gene pool by removing himself from it. Wiping out the gene pool entirely is not an improvement.

Actually, sterilization is necessary, but not having had kids is not necessary. That is in the rules.

=Uncool-

The rules require

*maturity (age and not having medical mental problems),

*excellence ("cool" and unusual and stupid),

*self-selection,

*removal from gene pool (usually death because it is hard to accidentally sterilize yourself)

*not taking out innocent bystanders (participants are fair play, especially if they are your children).

Not having children in the first place is a bonus, but not required. Since your kids have some genes from their mother, they might not have your gene that won the Award.

The award is given for improvement of the gene pool by removing yourself from it while simultaneously demonstrating that that is an improvement.

Elimination of the entire species does not follow the rule of no innocent bystanders, unless everyone participated.

• 11 months later...