Gay marriage ban in constitution?

fafalone

I find it ironic the number of time the opening phrase "As a Christian..." is followed by open demonstrations of intolerance and sweeping judgement. I wonder if these alleged Christians believe that it's only non-Christian heathens that need to bother with the other tenets of the religion, such as "Judge not, lest ye be judged", or "Love thine enemy" and "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

Speaking of 'love thine enemy', the full thing goes (more or less): "I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; that ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven".

Gays and lesbians aren't anybody's enemies, they do not 'curse you' nor 'hate you' nor 'use you despitefully' not 'persecute you', yet so many self-professed 'Christians' can't even bring themselves to show them the most basic human respect, let alone show them any Chritian love.

I don't believe in God, but even so, the larger question of God's existence seems to me to be premature when there is so little evidence for the existence of true Christians.

Hi,

Wow, lots of really smart people here, sorry if my replies don't measure up, but here goes:

First, I believe that homosexuals are born that way. It may be genetic and/or it may be the uteral environment during fetal development (I read that hormonal unbalance during fetal development can cause homosexuality). Also, I believe the American Psychological Association's new book "Behavioral Genetics In the Post Genomic Era: http://home.comcast.net/~neoeugenics/bgpe.htm or MIT Brain Department Professor Steven Pinker: http://home.comcast.net/~neoeugenics/tbs.htm found that homosexuals have unique brain structure. So, since I believe homosexuals are born this way, I think they should be allowed to live in whatever way they are happy, just like I would want for people born with any other types of biological defects (yes, in my opinion, homosexuality is not normal but rather an undesirable biological defect). As such, I believe they should be able to get married, but I would be against them adopting a heterosexual kid because of the psychological trauma it would cause the straight child.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found this forum! I think I'll start strong by posting several articles that I have recently found very interesting.

Regards,

Wolfgang Mozart (an alias, of course)

I saw this television program about a male homosexual couple who wanted to adopt a child. The conclusion was the adoption of an asian boy. The parents were caucasian, I guess. Anyways I had this brief thought in my mind. I thought "that poor kid." But not because I think homosexuality is wrong, and not because I think they're not loving parents, but because I know how cruel people can be. I just kept thinking.. how selfish. And I know that may sound ignorant, but really shouldn't it be a parents obligation to take into account what kind of environment their child is going to be raised in? Of course not everybody takes that into consideration when they choose to be parents, but maybe they should. I mean, this child is probably going to face a good amount of adversity during his life. He may be able to rise above, and he may turn out fine but nobody really knows that outcome. Just from going to public schools and witnessing how people are, and also viewing society, I think it's fair to make the assumption that the child may not be able to handle it.

In conclusion I'm not opposed to giving homosexuals rights, but I think they should really think about adopting children. And I know that's off topic but I had to get my thoughts out there. I know I may be viewed as ignorant but I still have to say this couples decision was very selfish in my own opinion.

and why not?

god forbid parents teach tolerance and acceptance to their kids...

A loving, caring homosexual couple is alot better for a straight child than the crackwhores and other assorted heterosexual losers who are allowed to have children.

A straight child with heterosexual thoughts who have homosexual parents as a guide and role-model? Lot's of psychological confusion conflict upon the child.

As much conflict as is undergone by the kids who are adopted by heterosexual parents? I doubt there's a significant difference.

It would be a risable folly to assume that homosexual adoptive parents will teach their children to "be gay", and amusing that people see this as some sort of "risk" in the first place.

But it's actually stupid to assume that:

A) heterosexual adoptive parents will never teach an adopted child that they should be heterosexual, or that homosexuality is wrong, immoral, undesirable, a disease etc.,

or

B) Children won't find reasons to persecute the adopted children of heterosexual parents too.

If you do a thorough assessment of Kerry's vote history, you'll see he's quite conservative. Republican/Democrat has little to do with conservative/liberal, particularly in this election and time.

Have a look at the political compass thing, it shows how close Bush and Kerry really are.