What OTHER degree would you seek, if money/time were no object?

Pangloss

What OTHER degree would you seek, unrelated to your work or current area of study, if money and time were no object?

Ever thought it might be cool to have a degree in "X", but it was just too far from your career to be worth chasing?

I had this friend back when I was at Georgia Tech in the 1980s, and he got his Bachelor's degree in Nuclear Engineering. Then, for reasons I never quite understood, he went to LAW school. After that he went in a completely different direction and ultimately graduated MEDICAL school! He'll soon be the only MD I know with degrees in law and nuclear engineering!

I've always had a hankering for politics, but what really "turns me on" is ancient history. I think if I ever went back to school in a completely different field it would be for a degree in ancient/classical history. Boring, perhaps, but there it is.

Meteorology, particularly the Electrical and Magnetic aspects of weather, Solar flares and the likes.

I do it as a Hobby and love listening to the electrical weather (Spherics and such), it would be great to know more.

Hmm, that's tricky, I find too many things equally interesting.

I'd probably go for fashion design, specializing in ladies swimwear. Failing that, probably neuroscience though I also find psychology interesting, as well as pharmacology. Climatology would also be up there, but I also love animals, so perhaps zoology, or perhaps evolutionary biology, marine biology would be awesome to...

Hmm, may stick with my former choice.

Well, as you know already from another thread, I'm going back to school this spring for a degree in Chinese. Our company has a lot of plants opening in China, and I see much of our future there, so I'm trying to get ahead of the curve.

My original intent was to go back for an executive MBA, but I am on a project right now that is way too big and way too expansive to allow the time and effort a highly competetive MBA program would require from me.

If I could study just anything, I think I would enjoy Far Eastern History and Philosophy, or something like physics (which I previously used 4 electives on when I was obtaining my Psych degree).

I'd quite like to know something serious about physics I guess, economics too. Maybe in my own time on a correspondence course or something.

Climatology would be amazing I think, in fact that's what I'd like to actually pursue learning (I wonder if there's some way to do that without a physics background?).

Guest claire01

im not yet in college but i think i am intelligent enough to think of things practically,,,maybe with no problem about money and time i would take up medicine course probably dentistry or pediatric course, law, biochemistry, uhh??? i wud also want history or literature...

Climatology would be amazing I think, in fact that's what I'd like to actually pursue learning (I wonder if there's some way to do that without a physics background?).

My assumption is that there is relatively little physics involved in climatology. I would think the actual physics is very simple and that the challenges mainly lie in the field of applied math, meaning the need for efficient and stable methods to solve the equations over a large variety of scales (both time-scales from hours to years and space-scales from dunno to earth-scale). Personally, I've only met one climatologist and he is a mathematician, hence my assumptions might be biased by experience.

My degrees are in philosophy and the history of science and mathematics, with minors in classics and physics - in other words the sorts of things that people say they would do "if they had the time" already. So maybe I'd try something soul-crushingly practical, like economics.

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I am currently learning to fly, academically wise I am doing a science degree. :eyebrow:

Other interest in terms of studying that I would love to pursue would be Aeronautical Engineering, Law and Psychology! I have invested in some books related to all 3 subjects, first because I am learning to fly it is appropriate to learn as much as I can with regards to aviation, secondly I have an interest in law, and thirdly my girlfriend is doing psychology so I can always borrow her books.

But my concentration at the moment is to complete my science degree with flying colours. :)