What's your favorite psychological field?

Mag

• 3 weeks later...

They form hypotheses and test them. They use the same statistical methods as any other field. They try to model the universe and test those models, then refine them and continue learning more. It's a science like any other.

In it's early years, psych was much more speculative and philosophical, but so was alchemy (ahem... I mean chemistry). The "softness" or "socialness" of them and any values assigned those labels are completely arbitrary. They have no relevance on the "goodness" or "badness" of the field.

They form hypotheses and test them. They use the same statistical methods as any other field. They try to model the universe and test those models, then refine them and continue learning more. It's a science like any other.

In it's early years, psych was much more speculative and philosophical, but so was alchemy (ahem... I mean chemistry). The "softness" or "socialness" of them and any values assigned those labels are completely arbitrary. They have no relevance on the "goodness" or "badness" of the field.

Heh, yes I know.

I was saying its a Social Science because it is, and at times it may not be as easy to measure things, as opposed to physics or chemistry.

• 1 month later...
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "identity?" Is it something to do with a conscious understanding and definition of self?

That's certainly part of it, although "self" comes more into older identity theories by Erikson, Marcia et al. whereas Tajfel, Billig and the social identity theorists such as Gergen and Burr place more emphasis social interaction.

The most likely areas to look at for a basic understanding, which you may well have anyway, would be..

- Erik Erikson with his introspection and use of the twenty statements test etc.

- James Marcia who expanded and altered Erikson's work.

- Henri Tajfel who developed Social Identity Theory.

- Social Constuctionists (based on the second cognitive revolution) such as Kenneth Gergen, Vivien Burr and thingy Billig (who began with SIT and moved toward SC in the last 80s).

I hope that wasn't too entry level for you.

What's your favorite psychological field?

There was a 'field' near our uni where the mushrooms grew... :)

One pill makes you larger

And one pill makes you small

And the ones that mother gives you

Don't do anything at all

The most likely areas to look at for a basic understanding, which you may well have anyway, would be..

- Erik Erikson with his introspection and use of the twenty statements test etc.

- James Marcia who expanded and altered Erikson's work.

- Henri Tajfel who developed Social Identity Theory.

- Social Constuctionists (based on the second cognitive revolution) such as Kenneth Gergen, Vivien Burr and thingy Billig (who began with SIT and moved toward SC in the last 80s).

I hope that wasn't too entry level for you.

Thank you, and not at all. It's been quite some time since I buried my nose into psych journals. I appreciate the specifics to guide my way when returning to that path. :)

• 3 weeks later...