How to get kalium?

thedarkshade

This year, we've been learning about elements one by one at school, and the one I really find interesting is kalium (K). Its characteristics just fascinate me, and I really feel that I really must get some (as I've been thinking for its use). So could anyone please tell me how can I get kalium in a nice, economic, easy way?

Its not the Safest material to use. It can be used safely but if your unexperienced you can easily hurt yourself. By the sounds of it your new to the world of Chemistry. My advise is NOT to try and get any Potassium. Sure it might be fun sounding but in reality it can lead to some bad things.

I think you shoud find something a little safer for now. Then maybe later move onto such stuff.

I'm not an experienced chemistest by any means, so I'm not looking to by Potassium. Sure it would be cool but I value my health too much.

-Randy

• 2 weeks later...
Its not the Safest material to use. It can be used safely but if your unexperienced you can easily hurt yourself. By the sounds of it your new to the world of Chemistry. My advise is NOT to try and get any Potassium. Sure it might be fun sounding but in reality it can lead to some bad things.

I think you shoud find something a little safer for now. Then maybe later move onto such stuff.

I'm not an experienced chemistest by any means, so I'm not looking to by Potassium. Sure it would be cool but I value my health too much.

-Randy

thnx about this, but I plan to do something with it! I have prepared all the necessary other stuffs and all I need is potassium! It's a sort of a bomb (a little one) just to surprise my professors. thnx anyway

thnx about this, but I plan to do something with it! I have prepared all the necessary other stuffs and all I need is potassium! It's a sort of a bomb (a little one) just to surprise my professors. thnx anyway

I think you're crazy. There are many easier ways to make little bombs without potassium. I agree with YT, your professors will be impressed if you bring in a homemade sample of potassium even if it isn't part of a bomb.

I think you're crazy. There are many easier ways to make little bombs without potassium. I agree with YT, your professors will be impressed if you bring in a homemade sample of potassium even if it isn't part of a bomb.

Thnx for the compliments Melvin!!! And I'm intentionally building that, of course not for mad purposes. And it's little, but it can do BIG things, it really can, and all I need is just potassium, so could someone just tell how do I get some. And please exclude the method of KCl and KOH hydrolysis because I'm banned to enter school's laboratory for my previous experiments!:doh:

I'd really appreciate some help! Please? YT2095??

I understand that you aren't building it for mad purposes. I'm just saying that it isn't really necessary. Hot sodium vapor will react with molten potassium chloride to form potassium vapor and sodium chloride. Sodium can be produced from borax by heating it with carbon to 1000 C.

Na2B4O7 + 7C --> 2Na + 4B + 7CO

This probably isn't a very practical method to make it though :)

I understand that you aren't building it for mad purposes. I'm just saying that it isn't really necessary. Hot sodium vapor will react with molten potassium chloride to form potassium vapor and sodium chloride. Sodium can be produced from borax by heating it with carbon to 1000 C.

Na2B4O7 + 7C --> 2Na + 4B + 7CO

This probably isn't a very practical method to make it though :)

I had a different idea! Like making the "bomb" circular with water and leave a hole to put potassium inside. That put that circular in a bigger circle filled with hydrogen! Then when the small one blasts (because of its potassium reacting with water) it will light the hydrogen released in the reaction with water and then also light the other hydrogen in the big circle, creating so a lot of flame and havoc, but no danger. Right?

yeah, sure I'd love too, as long as no one gets hurt! I'd really love too!

Your little bomb idea is vary stupid and dangerous. One of the products of mixing potassium and water is potassium hydroxide also know as caustic potash. This is a very strong base which will dissolve flesh. When your little bomb goes boom, caustic potash will be strewn about. You want to breathe that? You want that in your eye? Don’t be an idiot.

bombs in a crowded place are never a good idea. at best, no one will be hurt and you'll be arrested.

at worst, someone will be injured, you'll be arrested and be spending some time hoping to god you don't drop the soap.

Oh come, it's not that big deal! I just want some revenge for the ignorance toward my ideas! It's not that I'm kinda nerd or something, but ignorance hurts man. I mean, I am expelled from entering school's lab! That's awful man!

So could please some please tell how to get some, excluding electrolysis!

I just want some revenge for the ignorance toward my ideas!

I believe this is possibly one of the worst motivations ever for a science presentation. Also, it appears you didn't learn from this other experience you shared above: :doh:

I'm banned to enter school's laboratory for my previous experiments!

Seriously dude, you obviously don't know when to stop, and you sound like a raving baffoon.