Drunk knees

Bluenoise

Okay so this might seem like a stupid question, but I'm curious nevertheless, and have been unable to find the answer anywhere else.

Often when I go out for the night and drink probably a bit more than I should I find that my knees feel weak the next morning. They don't hurt, they just feel weak and stiff the next day and sometimes it carries on for another day.

Now I'm curious as to the exact cause of this. Is it directly caused my drinking or indirectly? Like is the alcohol doing it or is it more likely that I'm just overexerting myself running around, stumbling, falling over, dancing, going on long walks at 2am in search of pizza.

Ummm yeah.

Besides just "lack of attention causing over exertion," your knees likely spend more time balancing and correcting when drunk. Since the inner ear fluid changes viscosity when you're drinking, your balance is significantly effected. Our bodies also have self-correcting mechanisms when it comes to balance, especially since our mode of travel (walking) is a series of controlled falls. When you're drunk, you require more "control" over the falls, and the knees get rather tired. It's like hitting the weights too hard and your muscles being more shaky and fatigued the next day.

Now, the above is rooted in actual data, but is more or less speculation. Of course, as we all know, the best thing for wobbly knees is another shot. :D

Damn how'd you know? I did eat a Kebab...

I don't goto the gym to burn calories anyways, I'm slim enough. I just go for the physical activity.

kebabs are a side effect of alcoholic teleportation. there is always a kebab shop intermediate stop. it also seems to be in a pocket of unreality where it is always 3.15 am.

I think it could be uric acid build up or more likely, a lack of movement or an odd position while you sleep in your drunken state.

I have read that people generally do not switch positions as much in their sleep when they are intoxicated. I have also heard of cases where people have suffered nerve damage from sleeping on their arm, for example, while they were drunk. I suspect something similar could be going on here.

There may be some correlation with empty Taco Bell and White Castle wrappers also .

Damn... I haven't had a white castle since I moved from New York. That brings back some memories. I loved those things.

The lack of motion while sleeping thing I get. What would uric acid's role be?

Quote.

""Gout is one of the most painful rheumatic diseases. It results from deposits of needle-like crystals of uric acid in connective tissue, in the joint space between two bones, or in both. These deposits lead to inflammatory arthritis, which causes swelling, redness, heat, pain, and stiffness in the joints. The term arthritis refers to more than 100 different rheumatic diseases that affect the joints, muscles, and bones, as well as other tissues and structures. Gout accounts for approximately 5 percent of all cases of arthritis.

Drinking too much alcohol can lead to hyperuricemia because it interferes with the removal of uric acid from the body. ""

End Quote.

http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/articles/gout.html

Damn... I haven't had a white castle since I moved from New York. That brings back some memories. I loved those things.

The lack of motion while sleeping thing I get. What would uric acid's role be?

I miss em too.

We don't have Whitecastles out west either, but you can find them frozen in the grocery store most of the time. Just nuke em. They aren't quite as good as fresh, but they're tastey anyway. Since I can find the frozen ones in the grocery, I miss the Dusseldorf mustard and onion rings the most.