Oxidizing Iron in Bleach

valspara

Ive Been collecting iron oxide by exposing it to bleach for extended amounts of time. recently i left the bottle cap on and it was inflated with a gas (i was kinda in shock when i blew up in my hands so thats all the info i have). Any guesses as to what i may be?

Ive Been collecting iron oxide by exposing it to bleach for extended amounts of time. recently i left the bottle cap on and it was inflated with a gas (i was kinda in shock when i blew up in my hands so thats all the info i have). Any guesses as to what i may be?

I thought it might be chlorine gas, but it looks like something less toxic..........

Quote:

"MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEETSodium Hypochlorite 5-15%

Hazardous Products of Decomposition.. Chlorine (by reaction with acids), oxygen (by reaction with nickel,copper, tin, manganese, iron), sodium chloride, sodium chlorate, withincreased temperature."

End Quote.

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:luDQxCrLumIJ:www.commercialaquaticsupplies.com/bulk%2520chemicals/Sodium%2520Hypochlorite.pdf+Sodium+hypochlorite+iron&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=22&gl=us

what would that be?

sodium chlorate/hypochlorite?

did not know that came in gas (but then again im not to familiar with my chemistry.)

The only gas is oxygen (O2).

It says:

2 sodium hypochlorite (bleach)--> 2 sodium chloride (salt) + oxygen (gas)

Please don't put any acid in it because you will generate toxic chlorine gas.