Is the photosynthesis equation right?

Silverspeed

Is the explanation right?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is the explanation right?

Ok, is this the right equation for photosynthesis

6CO2 + 12H2O + Photons --> C6H12O6 + 6O2 + 6H2O

Is this right?

and is it right that most plants are photoautotrophs which means that they are able to synthesize food directly from inorganic compounds using light energy.

Is that right? :doh:

basically, yes, it is correct. plants take in the carbon from the co2, the electrons from h2o, and the energy from the photons to reduce co2 into glucose. The electrons, if im not mistakin, are takin from NADPH and added to the carbon reduction pathway to create glucose. If there is a certain part of photosynthesis you want to know about, im sure we can break it down A LOT futher than this

I'm not exactly sure what your wanting to find out, but maybe this will clear a little bit up for you. Im not to familiar with photosynthesis. Keep in mind that there is differences between noncyclic photosynthesis and cycic photosythesis in photoautotrophs.

to reduce co2 into glucose

minor correction, you cannot further reduce CO2. In CO2 the carbon is already in the reduced form.

The first step where of carbon fixation and where CO2 enters is a carboxylation of Ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate.

In the Calvin cycle you need energy (ATP) and reduction equivalents (NADPH) that were yielded by the light reaction.

minor correction, you cannot further reduce CO2. In CO2 the carbon is already in the reduced form.

The first step where of carbon fixation and where CO2 enters is a carboxylation of Ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate.

In the Calvin cycle you need energy (ATP) and reduction equivalents (NADPH) that were yielded by the light reaction.

of course you can reduce CO2. CO2 is the least reduced/most oxidized. in the carbon pathway, it goes CO2 -> acid -> aldehide -> alchohol -> glucose

Yeah you're right :embarass:

For some reasons I confused oxidation with reduction. Not only that I posted it wrong way round, too, to make my wrong point. Sorry about that :doh:

hey, i confused the two for the longest time. You would think it would make more sense to say that when you "reduce" something you make it into a simpler compound. But you know how we biologists aim to confuse things.