a Fuel cell maybe?

YT2095

I`ve just discovered something Very strange.

I`de set up my Hoffman Voltameter a while back, and after filling both sides H2 and O2 respectively, I put it to one side and thought no more of it.

but Slowly the levels were starting to drop unil it had swung towards Negative pressure!? a Vacuum of sorts.

I suspected that it was acting as a type of barometer, but I thought I`de check the carbon electrodes for Voltage anyway (I have no idea what made me think of that), and sure enough there was Voltage present:eek:

2 identical electrodes in dilute Sulfuric acid with O2 in one column and H2 in the other.

so I refilled them to Positive pressure again and I`m getting 14.8ma at .83v.

I now have them under a constant load (a small moving coil ammeter), it would seem that the O2 is consumed much faster than the H2 also?

has anyone got an explaination for this?

Hmm...

I really have no authority to say or know whats happening but...

It would seem as though the oxygen is playing games.

1. I could see it not being pure oxygen(maybe CO2 is being produced along with O2 and therefor producing less O2 for the same H2)

2. Its disolving in the water a lot?

3. Maybe the oxygen is reacting with the carbon during the "fuel cell" operation?

Personally I think it has something to do with the carbon electrodes and oxygen. I don't really think the cause is the hydrogen. But I could be wrong.

Just my thoughts...

-Randy :)

well it turns out from a few experiments I`ve conducted Further to this, that the Gas liberated at the Anode was never Pure O2 anyway (that would explain the lame result with the glowing splint test).

I evacuated the "O2" Anode column and replaced it with pure O2 from a gas bottle and then left it overnight.

Non of the O2 was taken, the level remained Constant.

I also shorted the outputs just in case it was some sort of Surface charge on the electrodes.

this morning I dumped the O2 out, evacuated the column and put in CO2 gas from a bottle, THAT is now being absorbed/used at a rate of about 1ml/hour and the voltage has increased again!?

the H2 has gone down just over half a ml in 28 hours.

it also goes some way to explain why I wasn`t getting the 1:2 ratio during electrolysis, I`de have to dump the H2 side 4 to 5 times to fill the Anode side.

so, it would seem at Face value that CO2 is being used as a "Fuel" in this cell.

which makes no sense at all, as CO2 is a Waste Product isn`t it?

I can`t really think of a reaction formula nevermind a Mechanism!

CO2 + H2 = H2O and CO maybe?

CO2 + 2H2 = 2H2O and C?

but I`m fairly sure that these would Require Energy and not Give energy!???? certainly not Electrical anyway.

weird...

Are you sure its still Hydrogen after running it as a "fuel cell"? It could possibly be just replacing the H2 with say CO2 or CO. I wouldn't know why or how.

Maybe its creating CO from CO2 and using 2H2 and O2(from CO2) to create 2H2O...

CO2 + H2---> CO + H20

It could possibly make sense.. Aslong as the CO is being produced at the Cathode. because for the CO to replace H2 is a 1:1 ratio. Hydrogen is VERY close if not a ideal gas. CO I'd assume would not be near as Ideal. So it would make sense that CO would take up a LITTLE less room for same number of moles. And at only 14.8ma I don't know if you could even seen the bubbles or not. I'd suggest checking the purity of the "H2" after a "fuel cell" run.

again, I don't know; just because I'm in Chem 2 now in High school. We haven't gone over electrolysis or electrochemistry just yet. :-(

-Randy

well the H2 hasn`t moved at all over the last 18 hours, but over 6ml of CO2 has been absorbed and the charge is right back up again. I totally discharged it yesterday.

6ml later and it`s good to go again???

I think I`ll leave it and see what the absorbtion rate is without a load, and then compare it again with a fresh batch of gas and test the absorbtion rate With a load.

just to see it that makes any difference.

hydrogen ions can be absorbed at the anode with carbon dioxide(carbon dioxide has an electrode potential, wrt hydrogen which is the standard. so does carbon).

maybe you've made a carbon-carbondioxide electrochemical cell? how did that testing for oxalic acid go?