I'm a Latino

Fred56

I like Latin. Latin is a cool language. English, with its revved-up syntax, stripped and fully rebuilt verbs, overblown vocabulary, and extra luggage space, is certainly an impressive language. It can travel many roads to the same meaning or intent, whereas Latin, more the stately carriage, a marque among languages, whilst unable to follow, will get there with words that have a longer range, that give more linguistic mileage. Latin can be “pithy”, that way. English is overloaded with meaning and therefore has more “nuance-range” (there are more ways to say something). Latin can get to the point with a lot less effort.

English is a dog’s breakfast. It is the language of deception. Politicians, advertisers and lawyers love it because it can be spun and twisted so easily… But, it’s the only lingo I speak fluently...and without completely understanding all of its words with their preposterous multiple meanings.

Latmobilus vehi levis. Opinatus sum. Ave.

Hic alia verbi Anglicani, quod erant demonstrandum:

“symmetry-breaking,relaxation,mapping,manifold,conformal,non-linear,

phase-inversion,matter-phase,degrees-of-freedom,phase-wave,volume-spectrum,

zero-point-energy,emergence,ergodic,S-matrix,integrable-boundary,boundary-condition,

hamiltonian,banach,sine-gordon,coxeter,quantum-bounce,casimir,flame-ism,brain-burp”

Binary is not an actual language, is it? It's just a way of transmitting a language.

Myself, I'm a fan of English, French, German, Greek, and Latin, each with its own unique advantages and charms. And yes, I'm a huge nerd.

To communicate in binary, would we be able to use words? How many bits would they need?

How would we map binary to our 10 digits? Or would we only use our arms and have some kind of semaphore language, and no evolved speech? Hic improbabilis est (et delectare).

English is a dog’s breakfast. It is the language of deception. Politicians, advertisers and lawyers love it because it can be spun and twisted so easily… But, it’s the only lingo I speak fluently...and without completely understanding all of its words with their preposterous multiple meanings.

It's not just for politicians and lawyers you know! I like how English allows for so many plays on words, and allows for so many amusing jokes, double entendres, innuendos, sarcasm and a wonderland of stuff;). Not sure if I'm going to shamelessly try one here though.... inyourendo:-p . Also to anyone who's missed me, or even noticed that I haven't posted in a while Hello:D

Vale! Quo vadis?

Hodie pars alia sapientis paravi:

Indicium auscultatoris instruere, igitur indici in mens parare,

iuli argumenti virili parte.

Qui cogitas?

For anyone in need of translation into 'Anglici':

Hi, how are you (going)?

Today I made up a 'saying' (bit of 'wisdom')

The best way to use evidence in an argument is to use the evidence in the mind of the listener.

Or: The best evidence for any argument is that in the mind of the listener...

(somehow it seems to lose something...)

What do you think?

Latin, indeed, vehi levis est (a smooth ride is).

• 2 weeks later...

Proicati sibi, nullus et omnium, fini continati sunt.

Aliqui qu omnis disco numquam discebo. Omni didic, omnes parum, disc_untur et discebo. Non haec dedecus est modestia.

All Latin, especially spoken Latin, has a rhythm to it (like any language).

But putting together almost any sentence, although word order is 'unimportant', seems to somehow go a certain way that demands it follow the common metres used in earlier times. Anapaest, iambus, and pentameter, and spondyls, dontch's just love it? Diaresis, the pause after a phrase which keeps the rhythm 'going', was adopted (as was most of the rest) straight from Greek.

The usual way to say something in Latin was to have an introductory phrase, then perhaps a bit of exposition, then the punch line at the end. For instance, the (noun) phrase:

"Proicatia sibi" - "their own projection (note the 'a' at the end of -catia, is barely spoken, the first example above elides it, which was common)"; is followed by a slight diaresis, then:

"nullus et omnium" - "nothing and everything"; this is the 'middle bit', and represents the main subject. Finally, the 'point' is made:

"fini continati sunt." - "of end, of continuation are." (notice the translation 'requires' a comma).

This feature allows Latin a certain poetic perspective that is harder to find in the Anglische language...

• 4 weeks later...

possum : I am able

possim : I am enabled

poteram : I was able

possem : I was enabled

potero : I will be able

? : I will be enabled?

potui : I have been able

potuerim: I have been enabled

potueram: I would have been able

potuissem: I would have been enabled

potuero : I will have been able

posse : to be able

potuisse: to be enabled

Sentiet sapiens callide solummodo paucissimu scit...!? Qui cogitas?

sum: I am

sim: I am being

eram: I was

essem: I was being

ero: I will be

futurus sim: I will be being

fui: I have been

fuerim: I have been being

fueram: I had been

fuissem: I had been being

fuero: I will have been

esse: being

futurus: to be intending

fuisse: to have been

locutus: speaking

es: (it) is!

esto: (it) will be!

este: (they) are!

estote: (they) will be!

loqui: speaking

...non solum, sed etiam...

Trans-lat-i-o-nes met-ri:

Occultus incendi ti flamm(a) Anoris ministro.

dit-dah-dit dit-dah-dit dit dah dit-dit-dah dit-dit-dah.

Sentiet sapiens callide solummodo paucissimu scit...!?

dit-dah-dit dit-dah-dit dit-dah-dit dit-dah-dit-dit dit-dah-DIT-dit dah...!?

--facilissimus est! ;)

• 2 weeks later...