Wireless Card

herme3

I have a Dell Inspiron 530S with an Asus WL-138G_V2 wireless network card. The card works fine in Windows Vista, but it isn't working with Fedora 7. I downloaded the Linux driver from the Asus web site, but it would not compile correctly even with the kernel headers in the correct folder.

Several Linux forums suggested to use ndiswrapper to install the Windows driver. I've tried both the Windows 98 and Windows XP driver, but both of them show the error "SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory" when I try to enable the card. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm using the 2.6.21 kernel.

This is what I see when I try running the "make" file in the terminal. I followed all of the step-by-step directions in the documentation file, but I still get the same errors:

Linux Directory is /lib/modules/2.6.21-1.3194.fc7/build

Linux Kernel Versions is 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.21-1.3194.fc7/build CROSS_COMPILE= M=/root/src/linuxsta/src/wl/linux modules

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.21-1.3194.fc7-i686'

CC [M] /root/src/linuxsta/src/wl/linux/wlc_led.o

In file included from /root/src/linuxsta/src/wl/linux/wlc_led.c:17:

/root/src/linuxsta/src/wl/linux/../../include/typedefs.h:166: error: conflicting types for ‘bool’

include/linux/types.h:36: error: previous declaration of ‘bool’ was here

In file included from /root/src/linuxsta/src/wl/linux/../../include/linux_osl.h:21,

from /root/src/linuxsta/src/wl/linux/../../include/osl.h:24,

from /root/src/linuxsta/src/wl/linux/wlc_led.c:19:

/root/src/linuxsta/src/wl/linux/../../include/linuxver.h:19:26: error: linux/config.h: No such file or directory

make[2]: *** [/root/src/linuxsta/src/wl/linux/wlc_led.o] Error 1

make[1]: *** [_module_/root/src/linuxsta/src/wl/linux] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.21-1.3194.fc7-i686'

make: *** [default] Error 2

I'm running the make file in the folder I extracted. This is all the documentation says:

1. Extract the tar package.

tar -xzvf src-<ver>.tar.gz

2. Build the Driver

cd src/linuxsta/src/wl/linux

in the makefile make sure to set the variables CROSS_COMPILE=<xxx>, if the the gcc is not already in the $PATH or if a different compiler needs to be used, and GCC-REV=<xxx> dictates the path of the prebuild regulatory binaries, to use while building the driver.(values it takes now are 3.4.2 or 4.0.2), if the kernel version is 2.6.14.3 the driver expects that iee80211_crypto.ko module be loaded, prior to loading this driver.

make clean

make

3. Test the Driver by loading it

insmod wl.ko

Hi Klaynos,

I tried that command, but it still gave the same errors. I fixed the "linux/config.h: No such file or directory" error by creating a new folder named "linux" and a blank file "config.h" in the includes folder.

However, I was still getting the "conflicting types for ‘bool’

include/linux/types.h" error. After removing one of the bool definitions from that file, I just kept getting more and more errors.

Here is the driver I'm trying to install: http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/WL-138g-v2/138gV2_Linux.zip

Is it possible to find a version that I can just install instead of needing to compile it?

Hi Klaynos,

I tried that command, but it still gave the same errors. I fixed the "linux/config.h: No such file or directory" error by creating a new folder named "linux" and a blank file "config.h" in the includes folder.

However, I was still getting the "conflicting types for ‘bool’

include/linux/types.h" error. After removing one of the bool definitions from that file, I just kept getting more and more errors.

Here is the driver I'm trying to install: http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/WL-138g-v2/138gV2_Linux.zip

Is it possible to find a version that I can just install instead of needing to compile it?

Making a blank config file does not sound like a good idea. Most source files contain a file called configure. Change to the directory this file is in, and if it is not executable, make it so chmod u+x configure, then execute it ./configure That should generate a config file

I've read a lot of posts on Linux forums, and it sounds like the only way to get this card working with Fedora is to use the Windows driver with Ndiswrapper. I've tried this, but ndiswrapper doesn't appear to be recognizing the hardware. When entering "ndiswrapper -l" it shows "Device present" but not "Hardware present".

I'll try posting more about this at the Fedora forum. Thanks to everyone here who offered their suggestions and advice. I really appreciate it.

No no no you're just doing it wrong. In your kernel sources type make menuconfig, exit, and tell it to save your config. Then type make && make modules_install. After you've done all that go to your drivers source and compile it. Afterwards you'll have to reboot unless you're using the same sources for the current kernel that you have installed.

Hi 1veedo,

I'm not sure if I quite understand how to compile this. I typed "make menuconfig" and then I saw a menu for the kernel, but I didn't see a save option when I exited. I then typed "make" and then "make modules_install" but still got the same error messages when I ran the "make" file that came with the driver. I uncompressed the driver's folder to the root directory. Should I uncompress this somewhere else?

Edit: Oh wait, it's working now! Thank you for your help. :)

• 3 months later...

Hi herme3

I have the same problem and I have passed all your ways before I found your topic in this forum. I am a newbie in Linux and some times i cannot figure out what is going on in Linux. Could you explain me what did you do to make this wireless card run.

Where did you type

"make menuconfig"

and then do I have type

"make"

and

"make modules_install"

When I typed "make" although there was errors, I saw many files in the directory. Are they the driver files. Is it

Thank very much