Movement... Disproved?

CanadaAotS

I was chatting away on a gaming server, minding my own business, when a guy in the channel mentions, "So, I can disprove movement."

I was skeptical to say the least.

But when he finished I was amazed... He actually disproved movement xD

Anyway it goes like this.

To go from point A to point B, assuming A =/= B, you'll have to go through a point C.

Let's say C is halfway between A and B. What's halfway between those 2 new points? And half way between that? And that?

Essentially, it's impossible to move in any direction.

How about that? :)

I understand where this is coming from. Movement is essentially time moving through 3 dimensional space. And imo it's just a construct of our minds. We percieve time...

But yeah, if this little proof isn't correct, could someone tell me where it goes wrong? And if it doesn't, does that mean that it disproves time as well?

:)

To go from point A to point B, assuming A =/= B, you'll have to go through a point C.

Let's say C is halfway between A and B. What's halfway between those 2 new points? And half way between that? And that?

Essentially, it's impossible to move in any direction.

That is Zeno's Paradox and it has been around for over 2,000 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeno%27s_paradox

I assumed the guy that told me about didn't make it up. Haha. I just never heard of it before.

Pretty interesting, and yourdad, the proof hinges on the fact that movement is a function, aka continuous. So to get from point a to point b, if a and b aren't equal you HAVE to go through some point c.

Doesn't matter if c is halfway between a and b, in fact it can be anywhere between the two points.

I assumed the guy that told me about didn't make it up. Haha. I just never heard of it before.

Pretty interesting, and yourdad, the proof hinges on the fact that movement is a function, aka continuous. So to get from point a to point b, if a and b aren't equal you HAVE to go through some point c.

Doesn't matter if c is halfway between a and b, in fact it can be anywhere between the two points.

And in one step, you can go through a, b, and c. If one were to travel as in Zeno's "Paradox", then one would be slowing down until they are motionless. That just isn't how motion occurs.

I prefer to turn Zeno's Paradox backwards. To get from a to b, you need to first get half way there. To get half way there, you first need to get a quarter of the way there. To get a quarter of the way there, you first need to get an eighth of the way there...

Which just goes to show that if there are an infinite number of points between a and b, you can easily move through an infinite number of points in a finite amount of time.

Nevermind, that is the way it was originally stated, I just heard it backward before.