Hydrogen Fuel Survey

IEatBabies

Well, I looked around and this seemed like the most active place around, so I'll post this here. Gotta write a nice, long research paper - with a survey.

Post your age and gender, make it up if you want - I don't really care.

Here it is - very basic. Multiple choice so the common American gets a 1/6, 1/5, 1/4, 1/2 chance of getting it right. (This is for everyone, just so long as it is written in French or English.)

1.If hydrogen fuel was made possible, would you use it?

A. Yes

B. No

2.Do you know what hydrogen is? What?

A. Yes, it is a gas and compound.

B. Yes, it is an element.

C. NO!

3.How much money would you be willing to pay for hydrogen fuel, assuming it is as it is cracked up to be? (U.S. CURRENCY!)

A. 50-80 cents

B. 81 - 130 cents

C. 131 - 180 cents

D. More than current gas prices.

E. Around current gas prices.

4. Choose the greatest risk associated with hydrogen fuel.

A. Freezing during Winter

B. Evaporation

C. Explosions

D. None of the above

5.If there is a better fuel source (listed...) then which do you think it would be?

A. Fossil Fuels

B. Solar Power

C. Nuclear

D. Wind

6. Would the energy source you chose be more or less costly? How much? (Relative to Hydrogen, U.S. Currency)

A.1-50 Cents Less

B.1-50 Cents More

C. 51-100 Cents Less

D. 51-100 Cents More

E. 100+ Less

F. 100+ More

7. Would that energy source contribute to pollution?

A. Yes

B. No

8. How much more or less convenient do you think hydrogen would be, relative to fossil fuels?

A. About the same

B. A little less

C. More convenient

D. Very Convenient

E. Very Inconvenient

---

Note - Answer in this syntax

(Age)/(Gender)

(Choice)

(Choice)

(Choice)

(Choice)

(Choice)

(Choice)

(Choice)

(Choice)

Thank you - I am sorry that this is in advance, but I will not be able to access the internet for a while. Short trip.

23/m

1.A. Yes

2.B. Yes, it is an element.

3.E. Around current gas prices.

4.C. Explosions

5.C. Nuclear (but a variety in green energy sources -- not in cars, of course)

6.C. 51-100 Cents Less (than hydrogen, because of many things including infrastructure)

7.B. No

8.E. Very Inconvenient

What's this survey for?

Also, what do you mean, "getting it right" you presumptuous...

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not calling anyone stupid. I'm just ticked off that the teacher requires free hints to be given.

This is for a research paper - I need 30 responses and I don't have much time, so I might have to spam the internets...

1. A (yes)

2. B (element)

3. Can't answer (is that cents per litre? US gallon?)

4. B (evaporation)

5. B or D (solar or wind) (note- this question is misleading, since hydrogen would have to be produced by one of these things anyway)

6. Can't answer (see my comments to question 3)

7. No (once in place)

8. B (a little less)

37/M

I'm afraid I'm going to be a little annoying with my answers, but it might help your poll.

23/m

1. It is possible, it's just not practical yet. The question as stated is too broad. The only logical answer is "yes, if certain conditions are met." Obviously I'm going to use it if it's free energy with no downside, and obviously I'm not if costs me $500 to fill my car, makes me hallucinate, and explodes when I bump the curb. If the question just means am I open to the idea and looking forward to it, then my answer is A (yes).

2. B.

3. D. Although "more" could mean a little bit more, or it could mean A LOT more. I would pay probably up to twice as much.

4. B. (Although "problem" might be a better word than "risk," since you're not really in any danger from it, so you could still argue that C is the right answer since it's the only "risk" there.)

5. Trick question? Hydrogen is not a source of energy like the options listed, it is a way of storing energy, like a battery. So you can't compare costs, because you're not buying the same thing. (For the record, I think we need to pursue all of the above except "A," because fossil fuels are running out.)

6. See answer to 5.

7. Everything contributes to pollution, it's just a matter of what kind and how much. They would all be better than fossil fuels.

8. At first it will be very inconvenient, but eventually it will be much more convenient, since it can be produced anywhere. Of course, if you do have to transport it, it's harder to move a pressurized and leaky canister around than a gasoline can. I guess my answer is D?

lol, I know that hydrogen fuel is garbage, don't get me wrong. I didn't get to choose what the topic was over. It's not like hydrogen generates its own power, it just uses gravity or whatever.

Thanks to all who answered! This survey will be closed in 5 hours and 3 minutes.

lol, I know that hydrogen fuel is garbage, don't get me wrong. I didn't get to choose what the topic was over. It's not like hydrogen generates its own power, it just uses gravity or whatever.

Well, I guess it would be using gravity if the electricity used to produce the hydrogen were produced with a hydroelectric plant...

I wouldn't say it's garbage, but it's got a long way to go before it's practical for everyday uses. One proposal is to use solar and/or wind energy (or hydroelectric, nuclear, or what have you) to electrolyze water and ship hydrogen via pipeline. Maintaining a good seal would be essential, though, and extremely difficult. Not only would leaks be expensive and possibly dangerous, they might be a new source of trouble for the ozone layer, at least according to this article. Furthermore, the most obvious source of water would be the sea, and electrolysis of seawater would produce lots of chlorine- which would be problematic to say the least.