illusion!

blike

I think our brains are just on the edge of percieving the real information. It reminds me of an early study done with first contact Indian tribes in the jungles. If they saw a picture of their familiar surroundings or animals with a polaroid, all they saw was a flat piece of paper with black and white or colors on it. Their minds weren't ready to see the picture.

Our minds can be tricked also. Shame on most of us.

Just aman

Yea, in psychology we learned of an experiment done one some indian tribe that had never been out of the deep jungle, and hence, never developed very accurate depth perception. When they were taken onto plains and shown animals in the far distance, they perceived the animals as small. They didn't understand that they appeared small because they were far away.

Our minds can only make sense of what we already have learned. If you see something that resembles nothing you have ever seen before then you will not know what to say or do with it and your mind will just take it as is.

God, if I see that damned thing one more time...

Print it out and fold the paper so that the two squares are overlapping. It'll freak your brain out a bit, especially if you keep going "together, apart... together, apart..." like I did.

• 2 years later...

This illusion demonstrates the principle that, to us, colours, to a large degree, are not defined by what they are, but by the colours surrounding them.

Another example is a TV. When you watch TV, say, a sci fi film in space, the images of space appear dark black (as you would expect). However, when you turn the TV off, the screen appears a dark, murky green. It is not possible for a TV screen to produce a darker colour than it is when the power is off, so in these cases, the colour of 'space' is mainly defined by its contrast with the 'stars' or any spaceship or planets also shown. It looks darker by contrast, but it ain't.