Psychology in the national curriculum for schools

Cyrus

I've always wondered why psychology isn't a part of the national curriculum of junior/senior high schools like English, maths or geography.

There's so much you learn about yourself and others, and I honestly think it will make you more tolerant if you know yourself better and why others act the way they do.

There might be a reason why it's not in the N.C, so I'd be happy if someone were to enlighten me :)

Cyrus said in post # :

There's so much you learn about yourself and others, and I honestly think it will make you more tolerant if you know yourself better and why others act the way they do.

the people in charge of that sort of thing never took it. :doh:

P.S. i hope that's not the real answer, even though it seems the most likely one...

I've always wondered why psychology isn't a part of the national curriculum of junior/senior high schools like English, maths or geography.

Well it is ofered as a course- normally. It just isn't required. Although I sort of enjoy the idea of requiring the course (mostly due to my own involvement in the field biasing my opinion), I think folk psychology is good enough for most practical purposes in life.

BrainMan said in post # :

Well it is ofered as a course- normally. It just isn't required. Although I sort of enjoy the idea of requiring the course (mostly due to my own involvement in the field biasing my opinion), I think folk psychology is good enough for most practical purposes in life.

In some schools you can choose to have psychology, but it's mostly BS what they teach :) At least that's the way it was at my high school back in Norway.

Well, English & Math/Science are usually the core of any cirricula. Psychology...is more of a specialization. Even at my old high school, we could take Psychology as a grade 12 course, given we took any grade 11 science course.

In some schools you can choose to have psychology, but it's mostly BS what they teach :) At least that's the way it was at my high school back in Norway.

After having taken plenty of courses from respected psychologists at university level, I can say that it is mostly BS what THEY teach too. ;)

Bit I gues that's beside the point...