Necromancy

• 4 months later...

In fact it's preferred that you reply to an existing thread if it's pertinent, rather than start a new one (and then have to refer people to the old one because the ground has been covered already).

Necromancy is resurrecting an old thread just to say "me, too" or something like that.

I think the biggest problem with necroed threads, is you don't realize it at first (it's easy to miss) and you start reading the posts through and start thinking "I thought this was discredited ages ago...." or whatnot... only to realize you are reading 3 yr old posts and only the last one was from yesterday.

At least that's why they bother me - and you also see people reply to posts where the original poster has long since moved on, or no longer needs advice about "the prom" or whatever.

A very simple edit that could reduce that issue (if that's what bothers others too) would be a mod that checks if the "post date" is over (n) months old, and if so, set the date's color to red.

It would be non-intrusive, easy to spot, and hopefully cut down on errant posting when a user misses the older posts' ages.

A very simple edit that could reduce that issue (if that's what bothers others too) would be a mod that checks if the "post date" is over (n) months old, and if so, set the date's color to red.

It would be non-intrusive, easy to spot, and hopefully cut down on errant posting when a user misses the older posts' ages.

I could be wrong, but aren't the majority of necroed threads from new users, or sometimes fly-by users, where such a thing wouldn't be noticed. For example they google a subject, the thread comes up, and they register and post they're comment, without due consideration.

I could be wrong, but aren't the majority of necroed threads from new users, or sometimes fly-by users, where such a thing wouldn't be noticed. For example they google a subject, the thread comes up, and they register and post they're comment, without due consideration.

The first post that raises the dead thread does seem to be - but for forum regulars, what is annoying is when you see a thread in the #2 spot in "General Discussion" or something, and go in and read it, only to realize you're reading stuff from years ago.

It's probably not too bad for people who have been avid users for quite a few years, but I guess in my experience since I miss a lot when I get busy it's easy to read a very old thread and not realize for a while it's one raised from the dead.

I guess when you go to reply, a nice little red text warning that "it is a long since dead thread...so make sure you have a fair reason to post" before you start typing could help with the newcomers.

I guess when you go to reply, a nice little red text warning that "it is a long since dead thread...so make sure you have a fair reason to post" before you start typing could help with the newcomers.

That'd work. That would prompt the newcomer to actually read through, to see if something has already been covered. There will still be topics where somebody would want to sound off, as it were...e.g animal testing springs to mind. But there's nothing that can be really done about that, bar locking the thread.

• 3 months later...
The first post that raises the dead thread does seem to be - but for forum regulars, what is annoying is when you see a thread in the #2 spot in "General Discussion" or something, and go in and read it, only to realize you're reading stuff from years ago.

Yeah, and the list of new threads doesn't even say when the first post was.

• 5 months later...
Maybe this: if no one has posted in a thread for several years, the first new post would go directly into a hidden queue to be pre-approved until a mod lets it through.

That might work, but it might make a lot of work for the moderators.

• 9 years later...