What happens when you put these things together?

shygurl475

What happens when you put these things together and what's the equation for them and what type of reactions are they?

1. Water and ammonium chloride

2. Hydrogen peroxide and magnesium dioxide

3. Calcium chloride and Sodium Carbonate

4. Hydrochloric acid and a piece of magnesium ribbon.

Thank You so much.

What happens when you put these things together and what's the equation for them and what type of reactions are they?

1. Water and ammonium chloride

2. Hydrogen peroxide and magnesium dioxide

3. Calcium chloride and Sodium Carbonate

4. Hydrochloric acid and a piece of magnesium ribbon.

Thank You so much.

Start by writing the formulas for each reactant.

I think both members had a suspicion it was homework and refused to do your work for you.

It does read like homework, by the way.

I'd suggest you do as YDOAPS said and figure out what the reactants are. For example, for #1, water and ammonium chloride:

H2O + NH4Cl

Frankly I don't know what will happen from there, but it'll at least help you "see" what's going on.

Gee, thanks for the help. What kind of a site is this??? Every time I ask a question I always get a smart ass answer. I guess I'll go somewhere else to get help because you people are useless.

And no this isn't homework.

Shygurl, I just did a search and looked at all of your posts, and I fail to see why you think you've received smart ass answers. I saw a lot of help, and a few requests for clarification. There's no need to be so sensitive. There are many contributors here, and some are (let's just say) more helpful and some are more kind than others. That's life babe.

Post #2 actually suggested a good start. Write the chemical formulas for each compound, then you can see about combining them.

Water is H2O

Ammonium Chloride I would think is NH4Cl.

Really. Where are you stuck? We're not here to do your work for you, but we will try to help you understand it and do it on your own. :)

Hope the following helps, but you have to write your own reaction equations. I hope to add some understanding with my reply, and if you give reaction equations, then we can have a look at them. As iNow suggests, this is not a spoonfeeding forum, but many people are willing to help you understand things.

1) Dissolving of solid, subsequent ionization. Ammonium ion is a (weak) acid. There will be an equilibrium. Which one?

2) Magnesium dioxide? This does not exist. There is a compound, called magnesium peroxide, MgO2, but this is not a normal oxide. I suspect this question is ill-posed.

3) Have a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metathesis_reaction_(chemistry). You get an aqueous metathesis reaction.

4) Look at the redox potential table for metals and compare this with the potential for 2H(+) + 2e --> H2. Do you think magnesium will react?

2) Magnesium dioxide? This does not exist. There is a compound, called magnesium peroxide, MgO2, but this is not a normal oxide. I suspect this question is ill-posed.

If this is indeed homework, I would imagine that the original poster meant to refer to manganese dioxide...of course, I could be wrong.

Gee, thanks for the help. What kind of a site is this??? Every time I ask a question I always get a smart ass answer. I guess I'll go somewhere else to have them make all stuff for me so i can be lazy.

And no this isn't homework.

/fixed

Any time you put a salt like ammonium chloride in water it dissociates into two ionic complexes, and (some of) the water molecules "provide" electrons or protons so conventionally the result is NH4Cl + H20 -> NH3OH + HCl. But really it's a hydronium ion not a proton. And the rhs should be 4 ions, not what I've got.

It was meant to be nh3+ oh- instead, the 4th h is now with the cl. I just couldn't be bothered with the + and - bits.

I'm not quite sure where you are getting this from, but the ammonium cation (NH4+) is quite stable in itself. When a salt such as NH4Cl is placed into water, a proton does not spontaneously come off and associate with a Cl- anion.

As John Cuthber mentioned, dissolving NH4Cl in water is quite dull, and no reaction takes place save for the hydration of the ions.