To work or to learn?

Genecks

I'm going to graduate soon from college, and I'm indecisive about something. I'm not sure whether I should simply grab some loans, go to a university, and get a bachelor's degree OR if I should simply work for a year (probably earning up to $20,000 USD for the year and keeping it), get some loans, pay off the interest, while going for my bachelor's degree.

I'm low on money, and I'm not too sure what to do. I don't think I truly qualify for scholarships, though. I know I do not want to be a teacher. If I did that, I'd probably be locked up in some hicktown for five years without the ability to get my master's degree.

What would some of you do?

What did some of you do?

Any of you have any stories?

I'm going to graduate soon from college, and I'm indecisive about something. I'm not sure whether I should simply grab some loans, go to a university, and get a bachelor's degree OR if I should simply work for a year (probably earning up to $20,000 USD for the year and keeping it), get some loans, pay off the interest, while going for my bachelor's degree.

I'm low on money, and I'm not too sure what to do. I don't think I truly qualify for scholarships, though. I know I do not want to be a teacher. If I did that, I'd probably be locked up in some hicktown for five years without the ability to get my master's degree.

What would some of you do?

What did some of you do?

Any of you have any stories?

I don't think it worth to take some loans for your bachelor's study, especially if (as yousay) you have a chance to find a job (and not as a teacher). I think you should go to work, try to find a work which will be close to your future study interests, get experience its very important in research and will help you in your bachelor study.

Or try finding a company which will reimburse some or all of your training costs. Then, you can do both in parallel.

I took loans for undergrad, but paid them off quickly. I am now going back to school starting in the spring and the company is footing the bill. So, I will get paychecks and homework. It's pretty cool. :)

• 2 months later...

You could try to get a job with the university. Most larger schools offer tuition waivers for up to 6 hr of class per semester. While somewhat slow, this method is effective and can keep a modest wage in-pocket.

This is what I am doing to get through the Ph.D. I am not sure how well it will work with only a high-school diploma, but so far as I know, the benefit is sound regardless of position (research associate = custodian for purpose of acquiring the tuition waiver).

Best of luck,

O3

If I were you, I'd go to university! Economical problems are a big barrier to overtake (I've been through them too), but if you take university seriously after you start, you'll probably be noticed and get a scholarship, and then just keep on studying, of course if you're willing to do that. And if you have good marks, then someone will definitely will be interested to have you in his/her company, and so you'd get a job anyway.

I'd strongly recommend to go to university!

If u hav a capability to get a job in IT industries, u can take ur job now. And thn , sme of the IT companies hav tie up with top level univ( CTS in symbiosis, BITS pilani) where u can persue ur higher education. I would prefer this way to u.

Again with this crippled writing Sathish???:doh:

If you can't write English properly then you have a reason, but if you're doing this for fun, please stop it man!:mad:

The sooner you get that first "real job" with "real pay" (i.e. more than $20k) in your chosen profession, the sooner you will be able to start long-term investing, and the sooner you will reach self-sufficiency (i.e. able to focus more on what you want to do, as opposed to what you need to earn). You can't get that first "real job" without the degree (unless you plan on pulling a "Bill Gates" and being your own boss, or a "Mother Theresa" and taking a vow of poverty.) In the end, your degree will cost about the same in money, whether you get it fast or slow. However, by taking the slow route, you are spending life years delaying your profession. The trade-off, in my mind, is not worth it. If you really know what you want, and the degree to take to get there, get the degree ASAP.

Experience while in college is important, so go for internships, even if they provide more experience than money.

Also, make sure you give yourself a good reality check every week or so. It is very easy to get diverted down the wrong path, especially in the liberal arts and sciences, especially when you have been in the college/university environment for an extended period.

I am a 43 year old with a Masters in Physics, working in a staff engineering position. Some might consider my position to be impressive (helping to design the next generation aircraft carrier propulsion plant), but it is actually pretty boring. I dream of physics. I taught physics at a local college, 4 nights a week for 3 years, just to be "in touch." Through this work, I rubbed elbows with people doing research in physics. I have been offered research positions at government labs if I would go back into a PhD program. Alas, I can't afford to go without my paycheck, now. I have lots of bills (though my student loans are paid off), and 5 kids with their futures to consider. My time has passed. Why didn't I get my PhD 20 years ago? I got distracted. I was writing and running major tournaments of AD&D at the world's largest gaming convention, as well as running a local gaming organization of a few hundred people. I was having fun with friends, with my mind off in the fantasy realms. I was skiing in Colorado and Utah, and sun-bathing in Florida.

Give yourself a good reality check every week or so. Fantasy is not life.

The situation varies from country to country. I was fortunate enough to get my Bachelor degrees on scholarships, but I did my post-grad qualification while working in a related field and was able to integrate practical work and learning. [And my employer contributed by allowing time off for lectures - so long as I got the work done.]