I have a few important Questions.

Tara S.

Hey Guys, My name is Tara, and I am new to these forums. I have really been having alot of trouble deciding exactly what I want to major in. I really love any sort of Biological science, but I also have such a passion for the environment. Originally, my major was going to be a Master's in Environmental Science, however, I have really been reconsidering. It is a very big decision and I want to make sure I choose properly. Any suggestions? or opinions? I just wanted some feedback from some environmentalists and some biologists. Thank you!

--Tara Schumacher

Hey Guys, My name is Tara, and I am new to these forums. I have really been having alot of trouble deciding exactly what I want to major in. I really love any sort of Biological science, but I also have such a passion for the environment. Originally, my major was going to be a Master's in Environmental Science, however, I have really been reconsidering. It is a very big decision and I want to make sure I choose properly. Any suggestions? or opinions? I just wanted some feedback from some environmentalists and some biologists. Thank you!

--Tara Schumacher

I would just start by taking some classes. You might want to be with X, but when you start to study something who knows what interests might open up really, you might find yourself in some biogeochemistry program and ramped up to explore the oceans. As for the environmental science aspect, its not just biology, which is a simple confusion. You have your social sciences, which for the most part might be tailored into more composite classes which could involve stuff like chemistry to law to local communities. Environmental science also explores the other natural sciences, though you can find many program options that could be for say applied ecology.

A BS level degree in biology for the most part can be general, or can be tailored, such as environmental biology, which for the most part is slightly different then just plain ecology again because it takes on more of a modern role, such as knowing what the EPA is and or state or local environmental laws or situations.

Lastly both fields are huge, I would say environmental science is probably the largest scientific field overall really, because you have to study a range of topics again from law to chemistry to a lot of stuff inbetween. Its pretty much the same in biology, its just biology is an older science and I would say and more user friendly one because of such.

Thank you very much Foodchain for your input. I sitting down at work thinking about this today, and the more I think about it the more I seem to favor the environmental field. I can really get the best of both worlds that way. I can still be involved with Biology but also be focused on my passion; the environment. I guess I am really going to have to take a few classes and really see what catches my interest and fascinates me the most.

The funny thing is that you might just wind up majoring in something completely different. You might get a masters in business analytics because you see the impact of corporations and employees on the environment... who knows?

Try to seek the instructors with the ability to infuse you with their passion. Try to find mechanisms to get paid for your own passion. And, most of all, have fun.

Best of luck. :)