Mysteries of Physics

Farsight

Some of you may recall that I've been writing a scientific paper, which I hope will be taken seriously. Within it I use the words "dispels many former mysteries". I hope I do so - I cover a large number of matters to varying degrees, ranging from mass and charge through particles and The Standard Model, all the way to the expansion of the universe, dark energy, and dark matter.

The paper is now complete, and I am happy with it. But as a last sweep, I thought it might be worthwhile if I ask this:

Can anybody name some "mysteries of physics" that I can take a look at?

List of unsolved problems in Physics -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsolved_problems_in_physics

Like giving matches to children... Thanks!

One of those is about information being destroyed or not in a black hole. Would it be possible to tell the difference between two black holes of equal mass, charge, and angular momentum, if, say one were made of matter and the other of antimatter? To that let me add, if you collided two black holes, one made of matter, and the other of exactly opposite antimatter, what would happen? Could you actually destroy a black hole like that?

Which would yield no more or less energy in the same volume. Would the energy not still have the same gravitational effects?

yep this is what would happen, they matter and antimatter would annihilate into photons which are trapped there anyway and would still give the same mass. this would cause the same gravitaional effects.

In this paper, will you actually make predictions?

Not really. I develop a model that explains what we already see. There are a few "predictions" dotted about, like "time travel is impossible" or "protons do not decay" but none that are readily testable.

Not really. I develop a model that explains what we already see. There are a few "predictions" dotted about, like "time travel is impossible" or "protons do not decay" but none that are readily testable.

They I am afraid are not predictions.

Try not to act too surprised when you get similar reactions to the ones you have seen, oh, everywhere, when you submit your paper. It's metaphysics and not science, makes no predictions, etc. (assuming you are going via the peer-review route rather than the vanity publication route)

Matter and anti-matter is a misnomer, since both have the same type of positive mass. The only difference are the charges are swapped. The result of a matter blackhole, pulling in antimatter, would be to compress the reference of the anti-matter, until they become run-of-the-mill neutrons. These would then be further compressed into the blackhole.

The blackhole is magnifying the local space-time reference into the reference needed to make higher and higher energy states of matter. That means information going into the blackhole will be compressed beyond recovery. If one could decompress the reference, one would make atoms again, but they would all be random, needing to reform from scratch. It is sort of like putting your hardrive into an auto compactor at the junk yard. We would have to melt it down, refabricate it, and then reprogram it.

Even energy will be blueshifted. So if we start out with a radiowave signal to transfer the information, we end up with gamma rays, which is not a very useful way to transfer information with matter, since it tends to be very destructive. If we red shift that, it is nothing but noise.

The fact that there is a debate whether information is conserved suggests that the assumption of what a blackhole reference is, is incorrect. It does not have a SR type reference. If it did, gravity would change reference without matter ever changing physical properties, such as on a rocket travelling close to C, where the laws of physics would stay the same. This is not what occurs. Gravity changes the physical properties, because the matter is brought physically closer. This allows fusion and other things. For example, if one had a block of solid D2 on an SR reference, the information of that state of matter would be conserved. If we place it into the high gravity of the sun, it would fuse and disrupt the info. The solid D2state may never exist again, if higher atoms begin to form. We can still make solid D2, but it would have to be done from scratch. We many have to start with atomic disentegration and built up from there.

Would it be possible to tell the difference between two black holes of equal mass, charge, and angular momentum, if, say one were made of matter and the other of antimatter? To that let me add, if you collided two black holes, one made of matter, and the other of exactly opposite antimatter, what would happen? Could you actually destroy a black hole like that?

You can't tell the difference since all you can measure from utside is mass, charge, and angular momentum according to the "No hair" theorem.

Currently we don't know if there is matter inside Black Holes or if what cind of...

If there is matter and antimatter inside two BHs then they would probably annihilate each other during an collision and create energy according to E=mc2. Energy bends space equal like mass, so while during the process, mass is transformed to energy, but from the outside all you could see is the merger of two BHs to one larger with the same total gravitational attraction.

Here's a round up from the wiki page on Unsolved problems in physics saying what I think I've covered in my paper. It's only 40 pages and 22,726 words, so much of the coverage is thin and I wouldn't say I've convincingly "dispelled" everything in this list:

Accelerating universe and the Cosmological constant.

Why is there far more matter than antimatter in the universe?

What is dark matter?

Entropy (arrow of time).

What is the mechanism responsible for generating neutrino masses?

Is the neutrino its own antiparticle?

Pioneer anomaly.

High-temperature superconductors.

Is string theory (M-theory) the correct approach?

Do black holes really exist?

Do they radiate, as expected on theoretical grounds? (I've now deleted this)

Does this radiation contain information about their inner structure?

What happens to the information stored in it?

Is there another way to probe their internal structure somehow?

Extra dimensions - Does nature have more than four spacetime dimensions?

Cosmic inflation - Is the theory of cosmic inflation correct?

Multiple universes - are there physical reasons to believe in other universes.. ?

Why is gravity such a weak force?

Magnetic monopoles - Do particles that carry "magnetic charge" exist?

Proton decay and Unification

As the lightest baryon, are protons absolutely stable?

Is there a preferred interpretation of quantum mechanics?

How does the quantum description of reality... give rise to the reality we perceive?

Are there physical phenomena... which irrevocably destroy information..?

Do "fundamental physical constants" vary over time?

Are string theory and the anthropic principle correct directions?

But I do think there's some value in the paper, even if some aspects of it are incorrect. I really do explain time, energy, mass, charge, gravity, space, and particles. For example, I know what a neutrino actually is. I'm suffering a delay in getting the paper up on the internet, so if you'd like a copy PM me and I'll mail you one.