Testing turtle's water for salmonella

IsaacScience

You are right. Test strips are usually designed to be qualitative. But they are generally derived from somewhat quant tests.

I'll bet that whatever is on that test strip can be calibrated to measure conc.

For example, set a dilution series of know conc of salmonella to calibrate...time for responce and/or color change/intensity, etc....whatever is appropriate for the strip.

Importantly, you will also need to determine the time span in which the responce is linear. That is critical

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the strips but at $10 each I won't be able to play around with them much to see how they react. They'll be my backup plan but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them. I have a university a few miles from my house - think they could help?

Isaac,

There is great chance that someone in the microbio dept could help. They also might be able to help you figure out exactly what is on those test strips so perhaps you could make you own assay, based on the same tech, much cheaper.

Good luck.