Best Riddles & Trivia Here

supernova

This thread is about the best riddles that we can all share, I will post one riddle and the next person list the solution and a new riddle as well (if possible), here is mine:

If a stamp and an envelope cost a dollar and a dime (10 cents), and the stamp costs a dollar more than the envelope, how much does the envelope cost?

This thread is about the best riddles that we can all share, I will post one riddle and the next person list the solution and a new riddle as well (if possible), here is mine:

If a stamp and an envelope cost a dollar and a dime (10 cents), and the stamp costs a dollar more than the envelope, how much does the envelope cost?

5¢.

I noticed that you had the same riddle told in another thread not too long ago. That, and the fact that a thread like this existed before, and died...

Two sons, two fathers and a grandfather all went out fishing. Altogether, they caught three fish, and went home. (Evidently, it wasn't a good day to go fishing.) How can they split the fish evenly so that every man gets the same amount of fish?

ALTERNATIVELY:

Two daughters, two mothers, and a grandmother all go out to eat, but only have enough money to buy three salads. (Not too rich, are they?) How can they split the salads so that every woman gets the same amount of salad?

Two sons, two fathers and a grandfather all went out fishing. Altogether, they caught three fish, and went home. (Evidently, it wasn't a good day to go fishing.) How can they split the fish evenly so that every man gets the same amount of fish?

They each get one fish. There was a kid, his dad, and his grandfather. That's two sons (the father of the kid and the kid). That's two fathers (the kid's dad and his grandad). There were three guys there, they caught three fish, so to split it evenly they each get one.

Two daughters, two mothers, and a grandmother all go out to eat, but only have enough money to buy three salads. (Not too rich, are they?) How can they split the salads so that every woman gets the same amount of salad?

See above. Everyone gets a salad. Yay! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Got this interesting problem from IIT guys in http://twisters.youmarks.com

How can three persons know mean of their salaries only by communicating without revealing their salaries to any other ?

Give a shot

Get 3 numbers, average them, and hand them out anonymously. Add your salaries to the number, and tell everyone the sum. Add all of those together, divide by 3, and subtract the average of the random numbers, to get the average salary. Use more than 3 numbers for greater secrecy.

You could split your salary randomly into two pieces and tell each of the others one portion. Then add the portions from the others, and tell the sum. Sum that and divide by 3, and you get the average. However, if the others tell what you told them, they can find your salary.

A little girl tells you, "Hey I was seven years old two days ago, but I'll be ten next year." How is this possible?

She was born december 31th and we are January the 1st . She is now 8 She will be 9 december 31th of that year and 10 december 31th of next year.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...